Costa Rica here we come?

Hi! I turn 56 I'm June—my wife and I will have one child left at home who graduates High School in 2021 and we are starting to look at next Chapter in what has already been an adventurous life!

One of those Chapters might be moving to Costa Rica—a big change of life and leap of faith for both of us if we did it!

We are just starting our exploratory journey and would love any direction to resources you would suggest would be good for us to begin.

I have seen no shortage of sites but would think those who have made this leap would be able to share what some of the most useful resources might be.

We are both healthy and active and have tried to be moderately prudent in our financial decisions through the years.

I spent 35 years in government and politics and the past 7 managing a non-profit. My wife is an extraordinary writer and has spent the past decade providing this service to a large Midwest USA non-profit.

Any input would be most appreciated!

I moved here from Chicago almost 14 years ago and have never, even for a moment, regretted doing so! 

The Costa Ricans are amazing friendly and welcoming and the country is BEAUTIFUL!! I think part of my success here is that I have chosen to basically "live like a native."  I live in a condo complex  (gated community) where I am the only foreigner, I shop locally and try my best not to buy products (especially food)  from the U.S. and I manage very well on my SSI and a pension I get from my former employer.

I highly recommend that you come and stay for about 6 months on a trial basis before you make your final commitment.  There are many adjustments that one must make, and living in a foreign country can be challenging at times...especially dealing with traffic in the San Jose area, for instance.  I have had friends that just don't want to, or can't  make the adjustments  and they ended up leaving.

I would be happy to help in any way I can.  God bless  you in your new venture!

Sallyrose Nava
Alajuelita, San Jose

Suggest you read the requirements for residency and the 'rules' regarding working here if that is your intent.
I agree with the above poster in that is best to have a trial run or at least make a few visits before making this big decision.

Rent here for at least 2-3 months and if you still decide you want to live here, then rent a month or two or MORE in the exact area you plan to live.
My advice is to research areas you might want to live and rent in each one for 1-2 or more months before buying here or moving here.

Also wait as long as you can comfortably wait before getting a residency. That means you'll have to leave the country every 3 months before getting residency.

If you have some $ to spend, leaving every 3 months is not too bad, you can take tours to Panama or fly to Florida or ?... But if you're on a budget and have to drive or take the bus to Panama (I no longer recommend Nicaragua due to the problems there), then it's quite a hassle to drive or take the bus to Panama every 3 months and go in and out of customs. However it would also be a shame to pay $3k+ U.S. for residency only to end up leaving to return to the USA after a year or two. So renting for as long as possible is the best way to go imho.

As to work your wife can write for a U.S. company via internet, no problem. But neither of you will be able to work here for at least 3 years after gaining legal residency, and even then it's unlikely you'd find a job, and if you did it wouldn't pay enough to be worth it probably.

You need to seriously check out internationalliving.com.
This is the “go to” site for traveling and living outside of the US.  They also have seminars where you can attend in country and learn first hand about living in Costa Rica from people who live there already.  You will also be able to take excursions to areas you are interested in.  Rule of thumb also to rent for at least 1-2 years before buying property.  The odds are always good you win't stay.  But odds are odds.

alvpackman wrote:

You need to seriously check out internationalliving.com.
This is the “go to” site for traveling and living outside of the US.  They also have seminars where you can attend in country and learn first hand about living in Costa Rica from people who live there already.  You will also be able to take excursions to areas you are interested in.  Rule of thumb also to rent for at least 1-2 years before buying property.  The odds are always good you win't stay.  But odds are odds.

Just remember that International Living is in the business of selling real estate, conferences etc in many if not all the areas they tout. i.e.; like all info, take it with a grain of salt and don't trust just one source of info.

I read that many of the writers do not live in the country that they write about.

More important is to perform due diligence with your  'feet on the ground.'

Remember it is a lot easier to buy a home and a lot harder to sell. Sometimes it takes 2 to 3 years to sell a home.

Of course.  But there is no denying they do a pretty good job for the money of assisting people who don't know as much as they would like to know about actually moving to and living outside of the US.

Don't forget to check out our upscale but down priced area Heredia Especially in the beautiful Hills..I can help you fibd nice furn. Apartmwnt  or home for around $500  (no charge ) which usually includes utilities and good WIFI email ne at extrapetsATgmail,com and if not allowed. PM me O am having trouble getting into d=site due to a glitch,,,I moved here over 30 yrs ago and live in the Hills of Heredia after living in just about all of the "Gringo Gulches " where prices are much higher
Our temps are gorgeous Averaging 75 F year round .  I agreee  rent first ...