Bikes

Hello there,
Is it safe cycling in the streets?, Most people have told me that it is quite dangerous and they wouldn't recommend it. I haven't seen that many cyclists in the streets and i was wandering.

Cycling is dangerous indeed. I would only recommend it where a seperate cyclepath is available. Otherwise it is far too risky because road are too narrow and some people do not drive defensiv enough. As a cyclist you have to trust in god and a good insurance.

hanselmar wrote:

Cycling is dangerous indeed. I would only recommend it where a seperate cyclepath is available. Otherwise it is far too risky because road are too narrow and some people do not drive defensiv enough. As a cyclist you have to trust in god and a good insurance.

Trust in god and good insurance! it seems that cycling is not safe here, i 'll probably abandon my idea of using a bike. What about scooters? Again,it's a not a popular means of transport ,although it makes much more sense to use a scooter rather than a car.

If you have a powerful scooter which can keep up to the speed of a car it is a good solution. However, you have to be swift and overtake on either side. In Italy a lot of people survive with their scooters. Some even reach retirement age. Altogether one can say a scooter is a soution for somebody who is very alert about the dangers of the road. At least the annual license fee is less than for cars and by overtaking on either side scooters are often faster than cars.

George76 wrote:
hanselmar wrote:

Trust in god and good insurance! it seems that cycling is not safe here, i 'll probably abandon my idea of using a bike. What about scooters? Again,it's a not a popular means of transport ,although it makes much more sense to use a scooter rather than a car.

You do see quite a lot of scooters especially in the summer.

hanselmar wrote:

If you have a powerful scooter which can keep up to the speed of a car it is a good solution. However, you have to be swift and overtake on either side. In Italy a lot of people survive with their scooters. Some even reach retirement age. Altogether one can say a scooter is a soution for somebody who is very alert about the dangers of the road. At least the annual license fee is less than for cars and by overtaking on either side scooters are often faster than cars.

In my mind,scooters are a very good solution for malta, easy to find parking space, overataking cars during traffic hours, But you are right , it has to be quite powerful, good point. I have declined the idea of a bike ,too dangerous,i will probably go for the scooter in a moth or so. thank u for sharing your thoughts.

You see quite a lot of cyclists on Gozo, not so dangerous as Malta.

I experienced only two accidents with motobikes in Gozo up to now.

GozoMo wrote:

You see quite a lot of cyclists on Gozo, not so dangerous as Malta.

That's really nice to know, very interesting. Is it flat in Gozo or there are lots of slopes ?

hanselmar wrote:

I experienced only two accidents with motobikes in Gozo up to now.

ok,thats not too bad i guess. But im a careful driver, i dont take any risks , especially with a scooter.

Very hilly in most areas, why not visit Gozo?The island is so small it doesn't take long to get from one place to another, we also have a good bus service.