Moving with 4 children (legal advice request)

Hi there!

Looking for some urgent advice if possible! I was offered a teaching position in Abu Dhabi last year with an excellent relocation package for myself, my husband and 4 children. We currently live in Scotland, UK.

However, my eldest daughter was born to a previous relationship and I was unmarried to her father. I panicked as I couldn't find anything to clearly explain the legal implications of “illegitimate” children, and withdrew from the post. I was told by the school's HR department that all I would need is the letter of no objection from my daughter's father.

Now, here I am one year later with a few excellent opportunities on offer within Abu Dhabi and Dubai, if I take the leap. My family and I were hugely disappointed that our plans didn't go ahead last year. At that point, I felt I didn't have enough information, but now strongly considering making plans to live our family dream.  Would I be in trouble with the UAE law if I relocated and they realised on arrival that my daughter was born out of wedlock? Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

J :)

It doesn't matter.  She was born out of wedlock outside of the UAE so it has no bearing on anything.

But sponsoring a visa for her would require an NOC from her father (who should be named on her birth certificate).  This NOC should be attested by the foreign ministry in your home country and then by the UAE Embassy there - for this attestation to happen by MOFA, the requirement may be to do that NOC in front of a solicitor or notary public.   Alternatively, you can also get custody documents proving your custody of your child (again attested).

Do not worry about that, you can bring your child as long as you will provide all the required documents. Also, if you meet all the requirements for a woman to qualify in sponsoring your dependents like your salary and your designation.