What is it like in Germany, particularly Hamburg?

Hallo! My name is Mimi, from Australia.

My husband is originally from Hamburg and is living in Australia for 8 years now.

We wanted to move for good in Hamburg but we are still unsure about the big decision.

I've never been to Germany and haven't really learn German that much, only the basic sentences/words.

What is it like in Germany, particularly Hamburg?

You should definitely visit and get your own impression before making a decision about moving or not!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Germany is a nice place, Hamburg is one of its big cities, it has good and bad just like everywhere else in the world.  I would echo Beppi's comment about going to check the place out before you make the final decision to move, some people love it, others hate it; it could be a lonely place if you can't speak German or are not the sort of person to go out and integrate.

Expecting people to attempt to really describe a whole city is rather nonsensical. Are you going to make a decision on a couple peoples' opinions who might have totally different perspectives than you? Like others have suggested, it would really make sense to visit first. And before that, simply google Hamburg and look at the endless amount of information available, that's what the internet is for! If you just want a personal opinion, you can simply ask your husband since he is from there. If there are things he doesn't know then feel free to ask here but be more specific if you expect a worthwhile answer.