Planning to move to hamburg Germany

Hi All,

I am planning to move to hamburg Germany in next 6 months. I got few questions about -

1. is salary offered to me 90-96k gross for a family of 3 is sufficient
  2. What will be the good place to live nearby inidan community
  3. Is there a possibility to get housemaid for new born child

Request this group members to kindly advise me.

Thanks

Anand

@anaeynd12 These are typical questions - reading some discussions on this forum and elsewhere will help you to get a clearer picture, but here are some first hints:

1. It is highly subjective what amount of money is considered "sufficient" and depends largely on your lifestyle expectations and spending choices. You can be content with little or have millions and still want more. Have a look at numbeo.com to get an idea of price levels in Germany. The salary you mention (which will translate to about €5000/month nett) is above average for a family of three, but so will be your costs if you do not adapt to German ways of doing things - especially if you send your kid to international school, crave Indian food a lot or want to travel home often.
  2. There is no area with "Indian community" anywhere in Germany. And finding new friends from other cultures is one of the most enriching experiences of staying abroad. Be open!
  3. It is unusual and very costly to have a full-time household helper - basically a preserve of the super-rich. For a part-time assistant, who comes for a few hours per week e.g. to clean the house, the legal minimum wage is €12/hour and the going rate higher in most cities. Almost all Germans do the household chores themselves.

Hello everyone,

Welcome on board @Anand !

Please note that I have created a new topic on the Hamburg forum from your post and the feedback from our Expert Beppi so that you can better interact.

All the very best,

Bhavna

I think Beppi's answer is spot on but will expand on a couple of points. One should not be obsessed about doing things like in India.

Public schools for example are usually quite good and free. Going to a private international school, if one is even available nearby, cost around 12 to 15 thousand euros a year now and the education is NOT necessarily any better. If a family is spending a year in Germany and the kid speaks English but no German then it might be a consideration. But then most workers would negotiate that the employer pays for such a school. If a family is staying longer, then the kid must learn German anyway. One might put them in a English speaking private school for a year as a transition period and then change to a public school. Having a kid go to a private school for years is a great expense with little to no long term benefit.

Thus the best thing the parents can do for their kids (and often for themselves) is to get them classes or a tutor to learn as much German as possible before they come so they hit the ground running. A public school has to accommodate them and the first year will likely be focused on getting their German skills up to par. And once in Germany,  a tutor can be affordably hired to give additional help outside of school; a strategy much cheaper than a private school.

Like Beppi mentioned, live in servants are virtually unheard of in Germany and only for the super rich.  Not only is it very costly but socially frowned upon. One is seen as very elitist to have a servant and exploitation of poor people to provide such services is just not acceptable here. What some might do is to have a person come in once a week for some hours to doing specific cleaning and other chores. But people need to be able to do most of the daily work of cooking, washing up, running the laundry and shopping themselves. As an upper class person doing such chores is considered negatively in India, it is seen as negative in Germany to not do them. Sorry but not knowing how to clean one's own behind after using the toilet is not a virtue in the west.

@anaeynd12 I think one of the easiest places to look for an Indian community is on Facebook, especially if you search in your language of choice.

If you're looking for a helper for a newly born baby, you could try looking for an au pair (a young foreign person, typically a woman, who helps with housework or childcare).

When I worked as one, it included helping with the children (3 in total), their laundry, meal preparation, etc.

He/she wouldn't be working as a housemaid and won't be responsible for cleaning the house and looking after the whole family, but I'm sure he/she would a great help for you and your family.

Simply Googling "au pair agency Germany" should give you a few contact numbers.

@Reigh Aupair is an exchange programme for young people, with the guest being seen as family member, not household help. We had Aupairs for years and were happy with it, but it is not compatible with what a live-in maid does in India. Furthermore, a family can only get an Aupair they speak German in daily life - otherwise the cultural and language learning aspect is missing. I doubt that this is the case with the OP.

But yes, this is the nearest you can get to having a live-in helper without breaking the bank.

Welp, I'm only speaking from experience.

Myself and all the au pairs I met were specifically recruited to help with the kids and daily tasks.

I did mention that she would not be working as a maid.

But yes, the family would have to speak German in everyday life. Something I didn't consider! Good that you pointed that out

I'm Alvin Agwen,currently from kenya I'm much convinced to work with you, I'm capable to grow through your assistance, may i get help from you madam.Reigh