Registering a car 7 months after registration tag expired, how to?

I was off the island, now returned, and the car registration has expired months ago, when I was gone.  Since I was not here, obviously I was unable to renew the registration.  If you miss the registration grace period, whatever that is, and go online to get the registration form, it won't fill out the form for you, since it's past whatever cutoff time period would allow you to print the new registration form.  Furthermore, I heard that even after I figure out how to renew the registration, it will only be good for the remaining 5 months, although I will be expected to pay an entire 12 month amount, whatever that is, instead of getting a full 12 months from when it's registered.

How do I comply to renew the registration when it has expired, with the car stored in the garage for 7 months, but now ready to be driven again?   For risk of driving it and getting a ticket for expired registration, how would the cops know it's expired unless they pull me over for something else?   Do they commonly use automated license plate readers while they are driving around in their squad cars, to catch people who have expired registration?

They don't make it easy to do business here!

Not sure where you live, but cops are hard to find in PR.
You can get a taxi to go get the paperwork done but you will need still to get your car inspection and for that you need your car.

If cops are hard to find, then I don't know why I would need a taxi, as I could simply drive the car unregistered.

To get the car inspection, do I need the renewal registration form first?   Or do they just put a new sticker on the windshield if it passes inspection?   It's only 2 years old with 6000 miles, so it should pass no problem.

potholes wrote:

If cops are hard to find, then I don't know why I would need a taxi, as I could simply drive the car unregistered.

To get the car inspection, do I need the renewal registration form first?   Or do they just put a new sticker on the windshield if it passes inspection?   It's only 2 years old with 6000 miles, so it should pass no problem.

As to the cops, that was my point, it is a risk that only you can assume given the situation, you may or may not get lucky.

As to paperwork and inspection, I don't know, I have not been in that situation.

Most cars pass inspection even if old.

Personally i would bring a copy of your plane ticket to show you just arrived.   You should be able to print the. Ew registration online. Go to banco popular with your print out of the registration and the print out that shows fines or no fines.  Bring it to your car to the garage and have them inspect your car,

Yes, one SHOULD be able to print the new registration online, but I can't, since its been many months since it expired, and as usual, PR doesn't do business well, making things unnecessarily difficult. 

What does Banco Popular have to do with registering a car?  I don't get that.  It's fully owned, no loans.

Banco now has full access to take care of the stamps, insurance etc for the dtop
Ours was over due last year and we were able to print it.   
This year on tue dtop it said we had no docs but when you scroll to the bottom you just click the link and the new paperwork is there.

What if your annual registration expired in February 2018, and its December 2018 now.  They make you pay $180 for a new registration that expires in February 2019, only 2 months from now, thus making you pay for a full year, while only receiving 2 months of value?  Then in February 2019, you have to get a new registration for another $180, good until February 2020?

Why do they make the start date from your previous expiration, instead of 1 year from the day you renew it?

You are correct, however $180 for the year is nothing. Think what you pay in the states monthly. Yes i understand your fustration,  it in all reality is minimal amount of money

sandrarduncan wrote:

You are correct, however $180 for the year is nothing. Think what you pay in the states monthly. Yes i understand your fustration,  it in all reality is minimal amount of money

Huh?  In the states the car registration costs less than $30 per year in some states.  It sounds like you are confusing car registration, normally 1 fee good for an entire year period, with car insurance that can be purchased on a monthly fee basis, or for 6, or 12 months.   I've never heard of car registration in ANY state having a monthly fee.   Additionally, $180 for only 2-3 months of registration remaining is an outrageously high fee, not a minimal amount of money, especially compared to $30 for an entire year of registration in the states.

Car registration includes your insurance here. As to when i lived in the states xar registration cost several hundred dollar's a year

The $180 includes car insurance here, and if you've been paying separately for private insurance, ask them for a form to bring as proof and you will get around $100 off the marbeta...

Car registration cost varies from state to state and car value. If you move and reregister in another state you may get a 30-55 bill or a 300 dollar bill.

The insurance that comes with the marbet is a bad deal for minimal coverage.  Your better off to buy a policy from an insurance company, get the letter documenting coverage an get the marbet with a $100 discount.

Sitka,  could you explain better or give an example?

The minimum required insurance to obtain the marbet sticker is ( as I recall) $4000 liability coverage, the Hacienda charges you about $100 for the policy.

I went to the local insurance company (Seguros multiples) and got a policy 100/300K policy which includes roadside assistance for $227.  This is significantly better coverage and value IMO.

If I have the unfortunate accident and total someone's new car, we have coverage that will save me a lawsuit.

You have to ask yourself, if you're in an accident, how much repair will 4K provide?  Not much. 🧐