Sending and receiving packages in Egypt

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Egypt?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Egypt?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Too bad i dont know anything about shipping, but have a friend who is operations manager for a freight forwarding company.

I most strongly recommend NOT relying on the normal postal system: I have had very damaging problems because important letters and packages (including credit cards and tax bills) either never arrive or take up to six months to be delivered. Even when they have been sent by registered or recorded delivery.

It is a nightmare.

The only alternative is to use the courier companies, who will deliver to your door. But they can be horrifically expensive, Fortunately for us we have an export company, and therefore have reasonable discounts on their fees. But beware of the charges they will add if an incoming package has to be customs cleared.

There is at least one company that consolidates shipments for people who don't get the discounts, and through their own purchasing power can obtain them and pass them on to you. Memphis Express is one of these, but there may be others.

And the customs tend to be highly arbitrary: we are never charged less than 30% of the value, and then the courier companies add customs clearance charges that can come to the same again.

In conclusion, if you want to send or receive Christmas packages I beg you not to send by normal mail or parcel post....

I always receive and send documents to multiple countries by DHL Company because it is related to my work.
It is a little bit expensive but it is very safe and your packages arrive to your exact address in a very short time.
I'm only sending and receiving  documents  I have no idea about the heavy things or gifts you can check it out in there website or call the customer service.
Customer Service: 16345

I used public postal only three times:-
1- I sent  something to my country and it was cheaper than DHL and every thing was good.
2- I was waiting for a shipment and they never deliver it to my address or even called me, because they were expecting me to come and I was expecting them to deliver it and the result is that "The shipment went back to the sender after 7 days from arriving to the distribution center".
3- The sender resent  the shipment but this time I asked him to give me some information how to track the shipment after that I called there customer service to know where is my shipment location, finally I went there and I received the shipment.
if you will send something important the "DHL" is recommended.

I found some one
who will get it in and out of Egypt
safe and at a good price finally

Do they send and receive also from Ghana???

@laady24 hi. Could you mention the name of the shipping company you are using? Thanks

@azzahusseinrezk:

Are you aware that the post you are referring to is almost 4 years old?

If you want to send letters, documents, etc. I also recommend DHL, especially if reliable and fast delivery are important.

Good luck,

Friedrich

Closed