Why is it difficult to get native american teacher in Jakarta?

Hi,
I am urgently needed a full time english teacher who is an american and lives in jakarta now. I have been looking for weeks but somehow still don't get any up til now. Is it because of the offers not good enough? Can anyone help me?

Facilities For A Full Time English Teacher In An English Tuition / Education Consultant:
1. Salary (after tax) rp 15.000.000 & above
2. Working permit & KITAS
3. Housing (to be discussed)
4. Health insurance

Should I add anything else?

Thank you for your help n advise!

- Carol

Probably the salary with education background that you require from a teacher who is from the USA is contributing towards lack of interest and salary offered, though this may attract some people ie Newley graduated or semi retired
Is the health insurance BPJS or private?
Is the salary NET or Gross?
Any description on accommodation water, gas, electric, AC furnishings, studio 1 or 2 bedrooms, etc all provided and housekeeping?
Transportation provided?
Living allowance?
Return flights payed for when on annual leave?
How many hours per day/ week working?
Days per week or month rest?
Annual leave/ holidays per annum Paid or unpaid?

Hi, Caroline..

Do you know about Mr. D OR Denis, he is an american teacher and very famous in Jakarta, just looking for his name and follow his Instagram, he will help you... Good luck!

Yeah I didn't mention too detail in the job advertisement, as I want to meet the candidat in person to discuss further more.

But yes We provide all housing facility including one bedroom apartment with walking distance to our center, we also pay for the electricity, water and maintenance service up to certain budget.

For those who already have housing, then we can discuss on how we support their living accomodation n cost.

Dear Noor,
Will check on him. Thank you very much for your kind help

I think they are one or two teachers on here who may be able to assist, no idea who they are but I'm sure If they read this they'll assist if possible

Perhaps the OP might consider British or Australians rather than just Americans.
It widens the number of possible applicants.

Yes, I hope so. Thank you for sharing your opinions, Gwymeath...really appreciate that

There is a lack of expat teachers here put off by the legal restrictions and the low salary vs the high expectations with other institutions offering more.

You need to cast the net wider and use lots of sites to advertise as well as compare your offer. There are slim pickings for teachers coming to Indonesia and its a buyers market really.  There is also the issue of the season in the US (Thanksgiving then Christmas) and this slows down the market as well. So you need to keep trying as more people will apply in the new year.

Better go to my college..

I have met very few Americans in Indonesia. Because of the value of the rupiah has fallen about half of the expat population has left Indonesia.

lso, it is difficult for foreigners to adjust to living in Indonesia.

What are you offering them compared to other countries nearby, like Thailand?

lxercon wrote:

lso, it is difficult for foreigners to adjust to living in Indonesia.

That depends on the individual foreigner.

You could always try to find someone at the American Club Jakarta east of Jl. Fatmawati. I had Indonesian lessons there once in a room they rented. The club has all kinds of sport facilities.

Carol,

Although I cannot answer the question as to why it is so difficult to find an American, native speaker already in Indonesia; I can say that, personally, I am looking for new opportunities after my contract has been completed on 30/8/2019. The salary range within Indonesia varies greatly with some earning 15 million up to 36 million IDR monthly net. Also, benefits offered are as important as any monetary salary.

If I were to speculate on reasons for difficulties in recruiting, then I would say the news on natural disasters and online posts about past experiences with various centers.

All the best,

Mohamed A

EgyptianSun wrote:

The salary range within Indonesia varies greatly with some earning 15 million up to 36 million IDR monthly net. Also, benefits offered are as important as any monetary salary.

If I were to speculate on reasons for difficulties in recruiting, then I would say the news on natural disasters and online posts about past experiences with various centers.

There are really very few expats in Indonesia so that means it's far harder work to find one that in many other countries. There are many reasons for that, many of those being political.

As for salary, yes, there's a massive range but benefits cam make a difference. In my personal opinion, the environment is equally important. Take a look around any potential new school and note the teachers and kids' faces. If they all look miserable, think of what your next year might be like.

I tried applying to several language centers but I mainly get rejected though I graduated from overseas. It seems like they are opting for western native speakers only. I seriously feel bad about this...

Language schools are supposed to only hire from the list of countries where English is the first language. However national plus and international schools can employee people from other nationals so perhaps you could try that approach.

I never really tried because I'm anticipating that they're expecting someone who has a degree in education. I licensed one and I am not that. I only have more than 5 years of teaching experience. I dunno if they will bank on that.

Lots of the national plus schools want white teachers and aren't fussy as they have such a hard time finding people.
Just be careful about work permits or you could end up in trouble