Travelling from the airport to accomodation

Hiya!

I'm landing in Ho Chi Minh on Thursday and was wondering what people would recommend to do.
My hotel is in District 3 and I've only got a backpack so wasn't too sure the best mode of transport to get there. I have the address of where I am going but I didn't know how to get there exactly.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated x

The easiest is to just get a taxi from one of the SIM Card/Taxi stands as soon as you go to exit. A taxi will be about 200k vnd (~$9 USD). Each stand has its own price, but they are all around that much.

If you do buy a SIM card from there (they are more expensive than going to an actual phone shop, but more convenient for short trips), you can then download and load GRAB onto your phone. Grab is the uber or lyft of Vietnam and a lot of south east asian countries. Grab will probably be 150-180k depending on the time of day and demand.

Depending on your backpack size, you could get on the back of a grab bike and save even more that way. Cost would probably be around 50k. A big backpack can be a bit awkward though.

Any taxi will do. Depending on your luggage, also a GRAB might do the trick.
Pricing, depending where you go and which you might catch ...
Any charge above 300k, consider yourself ripped off.

Cheapest option would be GRAB motorcycle taxi. Uber is available too, and you can use them for a motorcycle taxi as well.
Whatever you choose get the Grab App and Uber App just in case.

Salensis wrote:

Cheapest option would be GRAB motorcycle taxi. Uber is available too, and you can use them for a motorcycle taxi as well.
Whatever you choose get the Grab App and Uber App just in case.

Uber terminated their operation in Vietnam on April 8.

Cheapest option is local bus, then Grab motorcycle, then Grab taxi, then regular taxi, then hotel shuttle.

Whilst I like the idea; BUS .., is actually difficult. Luggage, not knowing where to where ... He/she is possible not local

Lots of interesting suggestions, but me, I want the easiest, most comfortable way when arriving after 17 hours of flying and immigration lines and baggage claim. What first time visitor wants to mess with buses or crazy motorbikes, apps, sim cards, or Grab bike meeting places?

1. In the airport lobby use your ATM card to get some Vietnamese money, you will need a few hundred thousand. Enter 1.900.000. That way you will get small bills that are easier to use.
2. Use a Vinasun taxi, best reputation. Walk out the door and cross to the farthest traffic island, there are railings and should be a queue. Say "Vinasun", only Vietnamese word you will need.
3. Show the driver the easy-to-read address that you have written on a piece of paper.
4. At the hotel, ask the English speaking desk where to get a SIM for your unlocked mobile phone. Handy for maps, translation, currency conversion, et cetera.
5. Have a nap!  ;)

gobot wrote:

1. In the airport lobby use your ATM card to get some Vietnamese money, you will need a few hundred thousand. Enter 1.900.000. That way you will get small bills that are easier to use.

A good one ..... could come handy

gobot wrote:

Enter 1.900.000. That way you will get small bills that are easier to use.

Have never thought of doing it that way.  Thank you, Gobot.  I don't worry about VND, but the same idea would be good for other currencies when we travel.