Haggling prices in markets

Hi all,    I am coming to Thailand next month. I haves a general question about haggling price with store owners in markets. Not department stores.   Is haggling accepted in Thai markets?  Is there a rule of thumb?
I lived in China for three years and it was somewhat of an insult, for store owners, if you didn't haggle or try and beat them down.
Just wondering, all comments greatly appreciated. Very much looking forward to my visit.
Many thanks, Brian

Even in markets you will usually see the price on a sign.  If it seem reasonable I don't bother to haggle over a few baht.  Wholesale prices can vary from day to day and it can be difficult to keep abreast of market forces so if you really want it, just buy it.  If you buy enough of something you might be able to ask for a bulk discount.  Instead of reducing the price they sometimes through in a little extra without charge.  In tourist areas I guess you should expect to pay a bit more than elsewhere.

To be fair, I speak Thai so probably receive preferential treatment.

It doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you make the offer in a playful mood.

Thanks Dick for the reply. I will keep that in mind. Do you practice this? many thanks, Brian.
A by the way question. Are you from Chiang Mai? and if so, whats the Grumpy Old Man pub like, Cheers, B

Thanks Village for the reply. I kinda figured this would be the case after doing my homework and comparing the BHT to the Aussie $. Many thanks, Brian