Accommodation: Common Rule for Start Renting Date

Dear All,

My employer ask me to join by Oct 29th, 2018. Now, my concern is the accommodation. Is it common to start renting at any date of the month?

Thank you.
Regards.

If you can get rented place which is available, then why not.

But on your arrival, you need a place to stay a day or two before finding a new place. Good luck

Hello,

Thank you for then answer, I want to check that before confirming to the employer.
One more question is that, is it a common practice/considered safe to pay the deposit of the accommodation online (without me being physically in SG)?

Thank you.

Don't pay to an unauthorised agent or without an agreement. As I said, you can agreed and confirm your occupation via email.

Make them agreed that on your arrival, you can visit the agreed location to sign the contract and pay the advance upfront.

If they don't agree and you are desperate to make the deal, then pay a token advance to book the place on your name, complete the deal on your arrival.

Almost all "landlords" who agree to rent out a place to you before you arrive and ask for advance payment for it are SCAMMERS.
Do not send any money in advance and do not agree to rent a place you haven't seen!
The usual (and much safer) method is booking a room in a hotel for the first two weeks and look for a more permanent place during that time!