Long term visa status , immigration and medical costs

hi                                                                                                                                                                                                i am 69 years old white English man , retired my main source of income is my state pension , i spent 4 months with the army stationed around lake Victoria back in the early seventies Kisumu area and fell in love with Kenya, back in a April this year i returned to Mombasa Nyali area where my girl friend lives she is 36 a black Kenyan girl,i intend to emigrate to Kenya early next year rent a house and marry later on in the year. i would really appreciate any help you could give ie long term visa status , immigration and medical costs.            many thanks Gavin.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : title changed for more visibility

Hello,

If you want to live in Kenya, you cannot initially get a long term visa.  The closest thing they have to a retirement visa is a 'Class K Permit'.  For this you need a reliable source of income which is not derived from working in Kenya, so things like, pension, interest from investments, property rental and so on.  The government prefer it if your income is from outside Kenya as this contributes to the economy.  Your minimum income should be equivalent of $24,000 per year.

The Class K Permit is generally issued on a 2 yearly cycle at a cost of Ksh 100,000 per year, plus a Ksh 10,000 admin fee.

After 7 years you can apply for permanent residence, provided that the last three of those years you have resided in Kenya continuously.  However, if you are married to a Kenyan citizen, this drops to 3 years, providing the marriage is ongoing.

Having a relationship with a Kenyan will not give you any additional rights, but once you are married (and if your partner works and can support you both) you could apply for a Dependents Pass, which would allow you to remain in Kenya (work not permitted).  This is a far cheaper option than the Class K Permit. 

As you are likely to enter Kenya on a Single Entry Visa (visitors visa) you would be able to stay a maximum of 6 months, before needing to return to the UK, unless the wedding and/or permit applications are sorted out quickly.  Even then, as permit applications often take time, you may find that your visa expires in the meantime.  You have no right to remain in Kenya without a valid visa, even pending the outcome of a permit application.  In any case, you should buy a return ticket when you go, within 3 months of the outward trip - its one of the conditions of a Single Entry Visa and you can be declined boarding if you don't have this.

The government have recently declared that work permit applicants must apply from their home countries.  I don't know whether this applies to the Dependents Pass, or Class K Permit.

Healthcare; state support is limited, so you would be advised to take out health insurance.  Cost of cover depends on age (rises as you get older) and a medical and may not cover any pre-existing medical issues.  Some companies won't insure at all over a certain age.  You can also take out an expat insurance cover with a UK company.  I suggest that you contact some companies for quotes.

Many thanks for the info if u can think of any more information i would appreciate it your friend               Gavin

Write to me

@Junejerop.

Why would a complete stranger write to you.
If you have information please post it here.