Which Kenyan visa should I get?

Hi. I served in the Peace Corps in Kenya and met and married a Kamba (we were married in Nairobi). We both came to the US to live. We were divorced (in the US) after 13 years of marriage. We're now getting married again and want to retire back in Kenya.

By the time I arrive, it won't have been the required 3 years to get a spouse visa (unless you count the first time we were married, which I don't think they will). But I don't want to get a regular tourist visa because I don't want to have to buy the return flight home (we need that money!).

If you were in a similar situation, which visa did you use? What would you recommend for me?

Thank you!

Firstly, there is no such thing as a Spouse Visa in Kenya.  There is a Dependent Pass, which would require your partner to be working/earning (assuming this is legally possible).

The Class K Permit is a possibility if you have an income not derived from work in Kenya, of min $24,000 per annum.  I am unsure whether you can apply for this from outside Kenya.

I entered Kenya on a Single Entry Visa (which I needed to extend to 6 months) and applied for a Class K shortly after arrival.  The application process took several months and my 6 month Single Entry Permit expired, requiring me to leave Kenya, then return.

It may be difficult to avoid the need to enter Kenya on a Single Entry Visa to begin with.  Return flights don't cost significantly more than one way and if you are that short of money, I'd advise you to plan carefully, as Kenya is not particularly cheap.

Regarding your marriage, the previous 13 years will be disregarded, as applications for permanent residency/citizenship depend on the marriage being current and enduring.  Incidentally, to reach the point of being eligible to apply for permanent residency, you will. need to have held one of the permits, such as the Class K, first, as you must have a Certificate of Good Conduct from Kenya Police and you cannot obtain one when you hold a tourist visa.

Below is a link to the list of permits available.

https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/permits/

one question those $24,000 or 100,000 to establish yourself as an entrepreneur, I guess it's Kenyan shilins and not dollars, I'm waiting for the answer, thanks in advance

The permit for an investor would require you to have $100,000 capital.  See link below:

https://immigration.go.ke/work-permits- … nsultancy/

The $24,000 per year refers to the income required for a Class K Permit under which working in Kenya is not permitted.

Thank you for your response to my question.

I realize now that I was reading about the visas and then went to the permanent residency section and found the "Spouse to Kenya Citizen" page of the Permanent Services section: https://immigration.go.ke/spouse-to-ken … ategory-d/

It looks like I can get a multiple entry visa, which is good for one year, which is more than the amount of time I need to apply for the "spouse" permanent residency permit.

Now to get a doctor's note about my tinted glasses for the photo...  :)

Thanks again for your help!

The page that you found is to do with application for permanent residence as a spouse of a Kenyan Citizen, with the 3 years clause mentioned in the first line.

You won't be able to stay in Kenya for a year on a multiple entry visa.  Lengths of permitted stays are the same as with the Single Entry Visa; ie. 90 days extendable for 90 days.

@Longonot62, do you know if it is possible to return the $100,000 investment (without taxation) to the country of origin after receiving the working class G permit ?

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, you just have to provide evidence that you have the funds available, say in an overseas bank account.  The government don't specify the source of the money/whether or not is is actually invested.  You also need to have registered a business and obtained a KRA PIN (for tax).

You also have to provide some sort of business plan to evidence that your business is benefitting Kenya, eg. providing employment.

The permit is generally issues for two years and renewal involves presenting accounts, so that will be the point at which your investment will be analysed.