Food shopping in Beijing

Hi all

I arrived in beijing today and also had my first day at work. I am staying in serviced apartments - I went food shopping at Jenny chu's to get some basics and only bought some pasta and a couple of tins, cereal and coffee and spent over 200 CNY - is that normal? seems pretty expensive - for basic supplies....are there cheaper places to shop or have i vastly under estimated the cost of living in beijing?

Also if anyone has any recommendations for places to live (just me) let me know as I am going to start to look at places this weekend.

Looking forward to meeting up with some of you soon!

chris

I assume you mean Jenny Lou's? They cater mostly to foreigners so command a higher price on a lot of items.

Of all the supermarkets, I think Carrefour has the best selection/prices of familiar foods. Also, Sanyuanli Market is  very good for quality food at good prices and hard to find items.

In any country imported products are more expensive than local products.

Cereals - forego Kellogs (imported) and buy Nestle (made in China)
Pasta - hi China is the home of Spaghetti - instead of Pasta buy noodles.
Coffee - try Yunnan Coffee (is not an instant coffee)

and then buy the above at a local supermarket for example JingKeLong which you will find almost everywhere.

Re- where to live depends on where you will be working, how you will be travelling to work and budget.