Imported food shops in Nha Trang?

Are there any grocery shops in Nha Trang that specialize in imported packaged foods, whole grain breads, etc? I mean similar to the shops on Ham Nghi Street in HCMC named Phuong Ha shop and Thai Hoa shop.

Also are there any cheese shops in Nha Trang like Lan Chinh, which is near the other shops on Ham Nghi in HCMC? I love that shop because they sell cheese much cheaper than the supermarkets.

I am investigating the livability of Nha Trang and Danang, and this is an important issue. Thanks for any info. I'm also posting this to Danang forum.

When in Rome?  Can you really not exist without whole grain breads and cheese?

THIGV wrote:

When in Rome?  Can you really not exist without whole grain breads and cheese?

Whole grain bread is much healthier for your digestive system. White bread being refined is one of the foods to avoid if you suffer from things like gastritis. I too look for whole grain breads due to its health benefits.

I fully agree about the benefits of whole grain bread, but as expats shouldn't we, short of "going native," adapt ourselves to the circumstances of the place where we are living or should we try to create a replica of our home countries?  I love cheese as well, but ask your cardiologist  :heart:   if it should be part of your diet.

Hi I am coming to live in this  beautiful country and culture  I am sure that it is to embrace all that it has forget about cheese and grain bread I will leave it all behind

THIGV wrote:

I fully agree about the benefits of whole grain bread, but as expats shouldn't we, short of "going native," adapt ourselves to the circumstances of the place where we are living or should we try to create a replica of our home countries?  I love cheese as well, but ask your cardiologist  :heart:   if it should be part of your diet.

Not at all. So your saying we should eat refined foods just because the locals do. The locals also drive like idiots, should we also take this practice onboard. Having lived here for 11-years, I do find your comment mind numbing.

I fully agree with THIGV's post #4.
I can do without cheese, but grain bread (and plain yoghurt) stimulates my digestion.  :)

I have seen in places with many white expats there are some shops selling grain bread (supply and demand).

For example, Big C Thao Dien (D2) has delicious grain bread.
In the Big C An Lac (Bình Tân), on the other hand, there is no grain bread.
In other Big Cs there is a kind of partial wheat bread baguette (half dark, not bad) or pre-cut sandwich bread (also available as dark sandwich bread e.g. in Aeon Citimarts, not very delicious).

Annam Gourmet Markets at Saigon Center also has delicious grain bread.

I think there are many white expats in Nha Trang.
So it should also be sold grain bread in some shops.

colinoscapee wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Not at all. So your saying we should eat refined foods just because the locals do. The locals also drive like idiots, should we also take this practice onboard. Having lived here for 11-years, I do find your comment mind numbing.

I don't think there's any comparison.

Unlike the Vietnamese way of driving, Vietnamese food probably does not kill anyone.

I had to change my diet because I have high levels of colesterine and blood sugar since I arrived in Vietnam and I have put on weight.
But I'm still eating Vietnamese food. Simply no longer every street food.

colinoscapee wrote:

So your saying we should eat refined foods just because the locals do.

What I am saying is that if you can't find whole grain bread that you can forgo bread altogether.

THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

So your saying we should eat refined foods just because the locals do.

What I am saying is that if you can't find whole grain bread that you can forgo bread altogether.

I agree, but that isn't how you worded the reply.

Andy Passenger wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
THIGV wrote:

I don't think there's any comparison.

Unlike the Vietnamese way of driving, Vietnamese food probably does not kill anyone.

I had to change my diet because I have high levels of colesterine and blood sugar since I arrived in Vietnam and I have put on weight.
But I'm still eating Vietnamese food. Simply no longer every street food.

You may want to read some local news articles about rotting meat being sold.

Like this article. https://www.google.com.vn/amp/s/ampe.vn … 78083.html

colinoscapee wrote:

agree, but that isn't how you worded the reply.

Perhaps what I really should have said is that if you insist on whole grain bread, you will have to forgo the culinary delight of bánh mì nhỏ bought absolutely fresh from the oven right at the little corner bakery.   :top:

THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

agree, but that isn't how you worded the reply.

Perhaps what I really should have said is that if you insist on whole grain bread, you will have to forgo the culinary delight of bánh mì nhỏ bought absolutely fresh from the oven right at the little corner bakery.   :top:

Maybe you should have done that instead of the same old rhetoric I keep hearing from some expats. "You must adapt to VN or leave"it gets tiresome after 11 years.

I'm wondering when Vietnamese in my home country will adapt and start eating Vegemite and not park on street corners.

Eating Vegemite may be a bridge too far.   :sosad:  How about a vegemite bánh mì?

THIGV wrote:

Eating Vegemite may be a bridge too far.   :sosad:

Agree, but it would impress us Aussies.😀

Sorry for the late reply. I did manage to find a shop in Nha Trang where they had cheese at the low prices like that shop I mentioned in HCMC.

It is called Moonmilk and I don't remember what street it is on.

Also, MegaMarket has cheese at the same low prices in convenient portions.

THIGV wrote:

Eating Vegemite may be a bridge too far.   :sosad:  How about a vegemite bánh mì?

Eating vegemite WOULD be a bridge too far! Same as a veg Banh mi.

hyagly256 wrote:

Are there any grocery shops in Nha Trang that specialize in imported packaged foods, whole grain breads, etc? I mean similar to the shops on Ham Nghi Street in HCMC named Phuong Ha shop and Thai Hoa shop.

Also are there any cheese shops in Nha Trang like Lan Chinh, which is near the other shops on Ham Nghi in HCMC? I love that shop because they sell cheese much cheaper than the supermarkets.

I am investigating the livability of Nha Trang and Danang, and this is an important issue. Thanks for any info. I'm also posting this to Danang forum.

When you're away from home for a long time you do miss certain foods. I regularly travelled from Bac Ninh to Aeon mall in Hanoi just for cheese so I know where you are coming from.  There's a big c in nha trang... that'll probably be your best bet.

As for bread, I much prefer banh mi. There's more choice in the UK but no authentic banh mi which is the best bread. Plus flour is fortified with calcium carbonate in the UK so you're basically eating chalk bread. I dare not ask what they put in the flour here...

Actually, La Vache Qui Rit has been available in Vietnam for a while, but I am not sure if you could consider it real cheese.  I think it is a blend of cheese and other oils.   It's sort of a French version of Velveeta but made with Swiss instead of Cheddar as the base.

I always joke with my Gf, I don't like eating dairy products in Vietnam.

When we're driving around the UK countryside, I always point out all the fields of healthy looking cows eating green grass. Then ask where's all the cows in vietnam...? All I see are buffalos.

phikachu wrote:

Then ask where's all the cows in vietnam...? All I see are buffalos.

The Vietnamese dairy industry was pretty much developed in the last 30 years and is based on confined feeding.  Actually collectivization of agriculture which obviously has its problems is what allowed large operations to develop in a way which might not have happened with smallholdings.  Large confined dairies are very capital intensive.  There may be exceptions but I think most of the cows on these farms are Holsteins which are suited to whole milk rather than creamery and hence cheese production.  I doubt that it is still there but there actually was a Vinamilk confined operation not long ago right within Thu Duc District.  It was on one of the streets going out of Thu Duc to the Hanoi Highway and District 9.  I expect by now it has been converted to some other use.

I once had a TA tell me that she thought the height increase of current Vietnamese students over their parents was mostly due to the availability of milk.  Cheese could increase size of the nation horizontally.   :cool:

She's made a promise to take me to see dairy cows soon as it's always been at the back of my mind when I'm shopping around in supermarkets there. Where does the milk come from...😂

Im fussy with milk, grew up in uk back in the day when a pint of milk was delivered to your door step every morning from the local farm. Would wake up and go get the milk in my pyjamas. Can't stand the UHT long life stuff they prefer to drink elsewhere.

phikachu wrote:

Where does the milk come from...😂

Im fussy with milk, grew up in uk back in the day when a pint of milk was delivered to your door step every morning from the local farm. Would wake up and go get the milk in my pyjamas. Can't stand the UHT long life stuff they prefer to drink elsewhere.

You are showing your age.  I remember hand delivered milk as a boy.  I expect that even in Britain it is a thing of the past (at least until 31 October.)  We even had a poultry farmer who would walk right into our house with a loud announcement of "egg man" and actually stock our refrigerator based on how many eggs we had left over from his last visit.

Here are a couple of things for you to watch while you are waiting for your next visit to Vietnam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k2ktEouqHo  Industrial dairy farming taken to the maximum extent.

https://www.dalattrip.com/dalat-milk-farm/  Maybe a little closer to what you want to see.  This may be one of the few or even only place in Vietnam where you can see milking cows on pasture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTbxJRWMdo

Actually there are economic factors that mitigate against milk cows on pasture anywhere in the tropics.  One is that where you can grow rice, you do so.  That of course does not apply in Da Lat.  The other is that tropical grasses are of lower nutritional value than grasses in temperate areas.  They generally have higher moisture content and lower proteins.  The moisture lowers maximum daily intake and hence production.  I expect that although kept outside, the Da Lat cows require some kind of additional silage or protein feedstocks.

It's virtually impossible to find 100% whole grain bread in Vietnam. The bread at Big C looks dark, but I asked the Bread Department what percentage of the flour used is whole grain and what percent white flour. The answer was 10% whole grain for the loaves and baguettes, and 15% for the buns.

Even at the expat shops, the bread is surely mostly white flour. I think they use coloring to make it look dark.

The best percentage of whole grain I have found in Vietnam is the bread at MegaMarket. There, if you look for the "Banh Mi Ngu Coc" unsliced loaves, they state on the package that they are 50% whole grain ("Ngu Coc"). On the other hand, their "Banh Mi Den" is only something like 15% IIRC. It looks very dark so surely they are coloring it.

THIGV wrote:
phikachu wrote:

You are showing your age.  I remember hand delivered milk as a boy.  I expect that even in Britain it is a thing of the past (at least until 31 October.)  We even had a poultry farmer who would walk right into our house with a loud announcement of "egg man" and actually stock our refrigerator based on how many eggs we had left over from his last visit.

Here are a couple of things for you to watch while you are waiting for your next visit to Vietnam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k2ktEouqHo  Industrial dairy farming taken to the maximum extent.

https://www.dalattrip.com/dalat-milk-farm/  Maybe a little closer to what you want to see.  This may be one of the few or even only place in Vietnam where you can see milking cows on pasture.

Actually there are economic factors that mitigate against milk cows on pasture anywhere in the tropics.  One is that where you can grow rice, you do so.  That of course does not apply in Da Lat.  The other is that tropical grasses are of lower nutritional value than grasses in temperate areas.  They generally have higher moisture content and lower proteins.  The moisture lowers maximum daily intake and hence production.  I expect that although kept outside, the Da Lat cows require some kind of additional silage or protein feedstocks.

I find it reassuring to watch this infomercial even if they slightly over did it with the CGI. The green grass was almost glowing but it's what I wanted to see and how I picture where my milk comes from. I can count the number of cows I have seen in Vietnam on one hand so you do wonder where all that milk and beef comes from. You have all heard the stories and warnings about beef so it did make me question the milk.

Are you an expat dairy farmer? Why do you know so much about cows and milk industry in Vietnam?

Can you and how do you buy shares in vinamilk? Milk consumption and dairy products must be growing immensely there.

phikachu wrote:

Are you an expat dairy farmer? Why do you know so much about cows and milk industry in Vietnam?

No to the first question but I was a hog farmer for a good part of my life.  Feeding sows daily was enough.  I could hardly imagine milking cows twice a day x 365.  Being in a similar industry meant that I had acquaintances in dairy and beef production.  I still have a tendency to observe agricultural efforts wherever I travel.

phikachu wrote:

Can you and how do you buy shares in vinamilk? Milk consumption and dairy products must be growing immensely there.

I think Vinamilk is publicly traded on the HCM exchange.

phikachu wrote:
THIGV wrote:
phikachu wrote:

I find it reassuring to watch this infomercial even if they slightly over did it with the CGI. The green grass was almost glowing but it's what I wanted to see and how I picture where my milk comes from. I can count the number of cows I have seen in Vietnam on one hand so you do wonder where all that milk and beef comes from. You have all heard the stories and warnings about beef so it did make me question the milk.

Have you heard about a thing called Google, lots of information can be found on there.

Google is useless if you don't read or write Vietnamese and topics you want to know more about aren't covered in english because there is no audience for it.

Seems to bother you I take an interest in how he knows so much about it, scroll on.

phikachu wrote:

Google is useless if you don't read or write Vietnamese and topics you want to know more about aren't covered in english because there is no audience for it.

Seems to bother you I take an interest in how he knows so much about it, scroll on.

Its obvious you have never done a search. There are numerous websites and platforms in English related to buying and selling.

https://en.vietstock.vn/

phikachu wrote:

Still scrolling.  :dumbom:

There's a Big C and Lotte in Nha Trang. I don't know about boutique shops.