Leaving the UK after being here over 12 years.

Hi All,

I am considering relocating to France only because I find myself stressed and very anxious having to live here and feeling like nothing apart from work is happening. I live my life like a student going from one city to the next but not having the impression of enjoying life. Away from family and friends whom I met over the years are now all abroad, so it's me. I don't have the envy going out sociolise and meet new ppl because I have done this and worn the TSHirt. I come out of a failed marriage and I don't know anymore what I want out of life. I am a positive person but the last couple of years have been all about uncertainty and sadness. As a result, I am looking for a big change but which place I could go where I could feel myself and finally settle my mind and heart.

Any suggestions?

Hi and welcome to the Forum. :)

Sad that you are asking with a sad heart.  If you really want to go, then you're French, how about one of the French-speaking countries around the world, have some fun maybe. :)

Sadly, it's not about location. Even the most beautiful island, the most amazing city, etc after a while the novelty wears out and you will find yourself standing in the same place... on a good note, that “place” is right where you are and should you find a way that what your heart truly needs and desires, you will be all set. May it will be a new passion, a new love, a serious life interest, hobby, sport, religion, but whatever it is, once you'll realize that your happiness depends on yourself before depending on others, you'll have won a truly happy existence. Hope that helps.

Desert island living from fish and wild fruits🤪

Thanks Anyes, you are right totally. I knew that and worked for it so hard to the point that I forgot myself and lost myself. Thanks for bringing me your valuable truth.

Hi I am ali here.i just need to know , can I live in uk on Italian carta saggiorno.

Ghulam sarwar ali wrote:

Hi I am ali here.i just need to know , can I live in uk on Italian carta saggiorno.

Hi Ali and welcome to the Forum. :)

Unfortunately, no; you can't live in the UK with this document.  It's an Italian government residence document, nothing else.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks very much for replying

I think I understand what ur going thro , I feel stuck in my life and always in doubt and trying to chase I dream I create every otherday , I understand that happiness is something u have to work for yet I am not sure how !
But am not here to make u feel more uncomfortable, a few days ago I read an article of a person whom are going thro the same thing, and she literally said don't fight it , just go with it and do ur best doing what life gives u during that time .. the point of it is the more we think about our situation the more unhappy we are and hopeless and since u maybe can't do or not certain of what u should do about it , so why not relax and walk along with it .. I don't know if that would help at all .. I hope u find what makes u happy very soon tho

All the best

Can moving to another country help against stress, lack of goals for life, loneliness or depression (which seems to be what you are suffering from)?
I don't think so. In fact, going to a strange and unknown (and therefore often frustrating and sometimes fearsome) place will worsen all these aspects.
It is better you realize that the problem (AND the chance for a solution) lie within you - and thus cannot simply be left behind when you move.
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but I believe you should not move abroad until the pull factors ("The place attracts me because ...") are stronger than the push factors ("I need to get out of here").

I suggest you travel with me to Asian countries , I will make u always laugh and make u enjoy life again . Try me
my regards :)

hi you should allways try  and follow your dreams as i have put so much off in the past now i am making that big move after all this time and moving to france for a better life good luck with what ever you deside but please dont put it off and regret it later in life like i have

rafic50 wrote:

I suggest you travel with me to Asian countries , I will make u always laugh and make u enjoy life again . Try me
my regards :)

Well that's not creepy at all...

You will never know until you try. I left the UK for the Middle East and have never looked back. Have been here 6 years now and have no intention of heading back to the UK.

Go to where they have sunshine and no taxes. Makes everyone happier!

Can we travel together please

You're welcome

I've also tried island living. And while it was paradise, after a while it still wasn't enough

I think you must think of Republic of Georgia. Though not a hectic life but very peaceful life. I came to Malaysia because of some family commitments, otherwise I shouldn't left that peaceful country. You have plenty to do something over there. If you love nature and can handle agriculture, I have 25 hectares of land. No need to invest. Government is giving subsidy for plantation of olives, almond, walnut, hazelnut etc. We can do something as I can't leave this country so often. My WhatsApp number ***

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

My recommendation for someone in the OP's shoes is: go "on the road" for a while - backpacking around and staying in hostels in foreign places. It's a very good way of finding one's balance again. Your post gave me the impression that you are youngish (in your 20s or early 30s?) and without children. You could start in England, if you're there already. Britain has plenty of popular hostels, glorious scenery, and interesting places to be in. Try it.

Find activities and meet other expats

OR