Information on 'Frozen' British State (Old Age) Pensions

For those contemplating a move abroad, and who are either in receipt, or will receive a UK State Pension, please be aware that the UK is the only country that discriminates against it's Pensioners, depending on where they live.

Unfortunately, despite an ongoing campaign to change the Regulations, and rectify this anomaly, which has lasted over 70 years, the UK Government is resisting attempts ensure that all Pensioners are treated equally. at present this effects about 550,000 Pensioners.

The Regulation as it stands, states that the Government will only uprate UK Pensions in those Countries where is is legally bound to do so, or reciprocal arrangements are in place, the list of countries affected can be found Here

I live in Colombia which unfortunately is one of the Countries where index linking of UK pensions is not applied, which means that the UK State pension you receive on moving to Colombia, or if you are already in Colombia, the date you become eligible for your pension, is the pension you receive for life, it will never be increased, unless you return to the UK.

At present I am flooding the Colombian Government with correspondence, knowing that President Santos has a good relationship with the UK Government, with a view to putting pressure on to change this regulation, bearing in mind there are many Colombians living and working in the UK, who will be effected once they return home, and will be depending on their UK pensions. People in other effected Countries are doing the same, with their host Governments.

For those who are unaware, there are many organisations involved in campaigning for change, probably the best known is the ICBP (International Consortium of British Pensioners), the other Group who are growing on FaceBook areBritish State Pensioners World Wide

At the moment there are British Pensioners living in 'Frozen' Countries on the poverty line,  quote "a pensioner aged 90 who has lived in a frozen country all their retirement would now still get a state pension of just £43.60 per week. If they had lived in the UK they would receive £113.10".

Just Google 'UK Frozen Pensions', and you will see how widespread the problem is.

I am lucky enough to have a Government pension that is index linked, but in six years time, I want the State pension I paid into throughout my working life.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I believe the UK government have legalised theft with this one by refusing to pay what I consider to be valid claims because you happen to live in the wrong country.
All paid in the same so I really can't think of a reason all should not be paid the same, regardless of where they happen to live.
It used to be a man could be discriminated against because he was black, gay or Catholic but the British government have scrapped old bigoted stupidity in favour of new ones, this time discriminated against someone because they live in the wrong place.
Imagine the British government refusing to pay because the claimant lived in Rotherham or Chester - there would be uproar, but refusing entitled people because they chose to live in another country is acceptable in their eyes.

This disgusting theft of benefits claimed honestly, and deserved as fruit of cash we had no choice but to pay, should be stopped immediately, stolen monies should be returned in the shortest possible time, and be repaid with interest and an apology along with admission of guilt.

Well I received a reply from the Colombian President's Office this morning, I guess I should have known better, especially with the elections just around the corner, it was just an "I'm all right Jack...up yours" letter. He is not interested.

Letter:

Respetado señor Sale:

Con atento saludo, acuso recibido de la comunicación que en días anteriores envió al Departamento Administrativo de la Presidencia de la República, Sobre el particular, es preciso indicar que el Gobierno del Presidente Santos consolida relaciones respetuosas y fructíferas entre las Naciones; por tanto, le informo que la Presidencia de la República no puede intervenir en asuntos como el que usted ha expuesto, teniendo en cuenta la autonomía del Gobierno de los diferentes Países.

Translation:

Dear Mr Sale

With attentive greetings, I have received the communication you sent to the Administrative Department of the President of the Republic on previous days.

In this regard, it is necessary to indicate that the Government of President Santos consolidates respectful and fruitful relations among Nations; Therefore, I inform you that the President of the Republic can not intervene in matters such as the one you have presented, taking into account the autonomy of the Government of the different countries.

I'll leave it now until after the election, and start again.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR