The jobs that are the most in-demand for expats in Indonesia

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding the job market for expats in Indonesia. This information will be incredibly helpful to anyone considering moving there, so we're very grateful for your contribution.

What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in Indonesia?

What are the ones most in-demand for expats?

Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce?

Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

The first point to note is how difficult it can be to get legal work here.
The basic rule of thumb is, if a local can do the job, a foreigner can't get a work permit to do it.

while it is the solution for an expatriate to find work. and especially that she works pays well?

Many employers are struggling to find good expats who meet the legal requirement as so demanded by the government and a lower salary and benefits package compared to other Asian countries yet still demand the same level of quality as the higher paying countries.
Indonesia is not somewhere that springs to mind when asked where would you like to live or work as it is over shadowed by Thailand, China and South Korea.

Indonesia seems to be pulling at the middle East market over a western one which is fine if that's it's key market yet it still demands westerners to fill some gaps.

I am looking for a English teaching job in Jakarta, I have a 4 year college degree and just got my TEFL certificate. The reason being I am married to an Indonesian citizen and we are expecting our first child. I was in Indonesia from Sept to Jan but returned to the US to take care of some business, I will be returning to Jakarta next month and hope to have something set up when I return.
Thanks,
Frank

Hi Priscilla,

The Indonesian government doesn't really want any foreigners to come to their country to work as they feel it is taking jobs away fro their own people.

Through the last 30 or 40 years I've seen them occasionally attempt to kick out all foreigners, but only changing their minds when they realize that Indonesians are sometimes incapable of doing certain jobs. Oil and gas exploration is one area where they've tried and failed several times.

Hi Frank, hope you can find your English teaching job over here. English teaching jobs is one of the few areas where the government allows foreigners to come here and work.

Thank you, I think I will be able to find something, many english teachers are needed here.

I'm  experienced in the hotel industry  my experiences range from Guest services to executive housekeeping manager , I'm looking to move to Bali and work but I have no idea where to begin looking for work

Im looking for internship for my wife in guest relations/front office department in Bali preferred in Ubud area since I've been here for almost 2 yes now. Finding a job in this field is very difficult since its for locals only so internship will be fine with less pay so we can attest live together. All the help will be appreciated.
Regards
Rahul

rahulmehra1988 wrote:

Im looking for internship for my wife in guest relations/front office department in Bali

All but impossible to do legally.

Indonesia is a pensioners paradise  for workers a survival game.
He he.... I've learned that very quickly

The country has a very strong protectionism policy which holds the country back and allows the rich to get richer by whatever means without accountability. Opening the country to up to allowing foreigners to work here other than English teachers, allowing investment without demanding ridiculous amounts would push this country forward and end a lot of what goes on behind. Many powerful people do not want this. Hence, the most common job is English teaching, yest still the majority of Indonesians cannot speak much English.

Hello house. I have been here in Indonesia for a couple of months and would love to work here as a teacher. I have over 8 years experience in teaching English Language.  I am also an author and artistic director.  I need direction, job referrals or any form of assistance so i can get a job.

Eben Yelson wrote:

Hello house. I have been here in Indonesia for a couple of months and would love to work here as a teacher. I have over 8 years experience in teaching English Language.  I am also an author and artistic director.  I need direction, job referrals or any form of assistance so i can get a job.

Not impossible but racism could be an issue for you. English teachers are often chosen on skin colour over ability. sad, isn't it?

To be very honest, I have seen few African people here in Indonesia, but clearly they are here, some are doing trading or business such as some that I know who live in Malaysia and come to Jakarta to buy clothes for resale.  They used to live in Jakarta but moved to Malaysia some years ago. I also know a Madagascan teacher but he is teaching IT and not English.

English teaching is possible but as the previous poster mentioned, it's probably very unlikely that you'll be able to find a job, but that should not stop you from trying. You can google English language schools in Indonesia and then contact those organizations directly.

You should also explore online teaching as you may have some luck there as there are many organizations where you could enroll as a teacher simply by registering and stating your qualifications and experience. Also, realize that online teaching is something that is being developed by traditional teaching organizations as they see this as an important step in the future.

If so then its really an issue. Ability and delivery should be the key ultimate.

Thanks soo much for your submission. I can already see its really a very big challenge getting a job here but i will keep looking.