Citizenship Under Consideration

21 months into “Verification of Citizenship” (jus sanguinis) - I'm advised 5 months ago my case was forwarded to the Registration Dept. in Budapest for the Registration of my Birth (it was abroad in Australia).

I hadn't heard anything - emailed the Registration officials and they respond with “Your case is currently under consideration.”

Can someone please clarify this? Assuming they haven't yet made a decision? So confused by the whole lengthy process. So excited to hopefully gain dual-citizenship so I can live in Hungary, but just would like some clarity if things are looking up do you think?

Thanks!

Sounds good to me, seems they have not rejected your claim or anything much to worry about. Give it some more time.

“Your case is currently under consideration.” is of course a canned answer. Means nothing. They may have lost your file and still reply with that.

Quite frankly, this is Hungary. No reply from official sources after five months is not uncommon. Especially regarding citizenship issues.

For what it is worth, I have heard a lot of civil servants are leaving the service, and there is a staff shortage. Too much work to do, not enough pay. So people leave the service, which means the remaining staff have even more work for the same pay.

Only after nine months or a year write them again if you have not heard back and asking for  details about the position and exact status of your case, just to make sure they have not lost your file. You might be able to hire an attorney with "contacts" who might "move things along", maybe. Else, you just have to wait. Little is done rapidly for the common folks here by the cogs in the bureaucracy. Which you may run into again and again if you decide to live here. If anything living in Hungary means you will have to learn patience.

You need to post the same question 7 more times to get the correct answer, so don't give up!  :top:

klsallee wrote:

“Your case is currently under consideration.” is of course a canned answer. Means nothing. They may have lost your file and still reply with that.

Quite frankly, this is Hungary. No reply from official sources after five months is not uncommon. Especially regarding citizenship issues.

For what it is worth, I have heard a lot of civil servants are leaving the service, and there is a staff shortage. Too much work to do, not enough pay. So people leave the service, which means the remaining staff have even more work for the same pay.

Only after nine months or a year write them again if you have not heard back and asking for  details about the position and exact status of your case, just to make sure they have not lost your file. You might be able to hire an attorney with "contacts" who might "move things along", maybe. Else, you just have to wait. Little is done rapidly for the common folks here by the cogs in the bureaucracy. Which you may run into again and again if you decide to live here. If anything living in Hungary means you will have to learn patience.

Oh my goodness this is HORRIFIC. Another year on top of almost two years of waiting. I cannot explain what this process has already caused me. Much stress and loss in my life. It is all I care about or am focused on. I know it seems ridiculous and patience is key - but I have been patient.

For a process that I was initially advised would take 6 months (how silly of me to ever believe that) - to now thinking they could have potentially lost my case along with all of my AND my family's original certificates.

I have no words.

atomheart wrote:

You need to post the same question 7 more times to get the correct answer, so don't give up!  :top:

The consulate I submitted my case through initially has been so kind and helpful wherever she possibly can.

I have spoken to the Officials in Budapest who then forwarded me onto the Registration Department. I always am trying for an answer because 2 years of waiting and different answers is taking a toll on my wellbeing.

I was advised back in August that my documents were being sent over to the Registration Department. I don't know how they generally carry out the whole procedure (Verification/then Registration?) I have read countless websites and even the legislations behind the Registration process and they say allow between 4 - 6 months (however things can get in the way of this).

I just think I'm about to lose my mind to be honest. I understand they're short staffed and there's a large backlog of cases - but this is people's lives they have in their hands. This is what I dwell on every day. I have been so patient but I'm also so stressed because of it.

bande11 wrote:

Another year on top of almost two years of waiting. I cannot explain what this process has already caused me. Much stress and loss in my life. It is all I care about or am focused on. I know it seems ridiculous and patience is key - but I have been patient.

Oh my.... Two years already is a long time.

No it is not ridiculous to be a bit concerned about this time frame. Or to be frustrated by the process and its delays.

Unfortunately, it took me about a decade to learn I just can not rush the system. And it is not just here of course. To add a little humor, and so you know you are not alone, when dealing with government offices and personnel :) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0woPde7OE1k

(Side note: The fox and rabbit are pretty much me and my wife in a government office. And my wife said I am exactly the one who would ask, at the wrong moment, if you want to here a joke ---- like maybe as I am doing right now.....)

bande11 wrote:

For a process that I was initially advised would take 6 months (how silly of me to ever believe that) - to now thinking they could have potentially lost my case along with all of my AND my family's original certificates.

Of course not saying a long time means they did loose your file. :)

Just saying, anything can happen. So of course do stay informed. So do indeed checkup on it from time to time. But asking too commonly for status updates, sometimes I find, actually seems to make the process go slower (or maybe it is just a watched pot never boils phenomenon).

However, yes, I once did have an office loose my paperwork and I had re-submit. :(  Of course, I think that actually helped. Because they errored, they seemed to then put my new paperwork on the top of the stack to compensate, and things then moved very rapidly. Clouds and silver linings. :)

klsallee wrote:

No it is not ridiculous to be a bit concerned about this time frame. Or to be frustrated by the process and its delays.

Unfortunately, it took me about a decade to learn I just can not rush the system. And it is not just here of course. To add a little humor, and so you know you are not alone, when dealing with government offices and personnel :) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0woPde7OE1k

(Side note: The fox and rabbit are pretty much me and my wife in a government office. And my wife said I am exactly the one who would ask, at the wrong moment, if you want to here a joke ---- like maybe as I am doing right now.....)

This immediately lifted my spirits and gave me a giggle - very much appreciated :) and relatable!! The sheer pain through all the patience... it's enough to make your head almost implode isn't it?

klsallee wrote:

Of course not saying a long time means they did loose your file. :)

Just saying, anything can happen. So of course do stay informed. So do indeed checkup on it from time to time. But asking too commonly for status updates, sometimes I find, actually seems to make the process go slower (or maybe it is just a watched pot never boils phenomenon).

However, yes, I once did have an office loose my paperwork and I had re-submit. :(  Of course, I think that actually helped. Because they errored, they seemed to then put my new paperwork on the top of the stack to compensate, and things then moved very rapidly. Clouds and silver linings. :)

Of course, anything can happen. I am never one for surprises so the notion of being kept in the dark about my case for such a long period of time is really difficult to accept. If they were to say "Things are looking good - but it's going to take time before we get your paperwork back to you then I would think: no worries! But I don't know which way it's going to go.

I'm thinking would it be a good idea if I wrote to them explaining why this is so important to me? Or perhaps they won't appreciate the useless waffle of some individual among the thousands they're already dealing with? I'm not sure. :(

Hope it turns out well for you. Don't allow this to interrupt your normal daily life if possible.
If you are already living in Hungary then I sort of doubt you will be asked to leave the country.
I understand how stressful the waiting and not knowing is.
We made a huge mistake when we moved to HU, forgot the exact dates but a good 8 years back I tried to get my resident permit.
We went about it the wrong way and it lead to allot of stress.
My husband is a HU citizen, born and raised in HU. He left in 1971 for Europe and later to the US where we met.
Our son became a HU citizen via the HU embassy in Ca. because my husband submitted all the papers for him in Hungarian and spoke in Hungarian on the phone to the embassy.
Not even sure if that helped or not, this was over 20 years ago when I do not think so many people were trying to get HU citizenship through being a child of a citizen.
In my case we assumed that because we had US income, were married, I was the mother of a HU citizen and we owned property already in HU that for sure my getting a resident permit would be a breeze. My problem was I entered HU as a tourist so they really put us through the wringer getting my permit.
We , well my husband rather, refused to hire a lawyer, he saw no reason as a citizen to have to go that route.
I finally did get my permit for 5 years, since then I have a 10 year permit and it was no hassle at all last time at immigration, other then having to go ina be there that is ( That place is so depressing).
During that first long wait however I was given 90 days to leave HU because someone had perhaps misfiled a paper or it was on the wrong desk, no way of knowing but all that hassle did put a cramp in our life. We were about to buy a car but no knowing if I had to go or not made buying a nice car a issue, didn't want to invest and have to go. We bought a old clunker in the mean time... Always feeling slightly angry everyday while  waiting for them to get it together at the office was stressful.
In all even now we are angry and I have never felt at home here since that lousy welcome those years back. Never expected the red carpet to be rolled out but never expected such rude behavior from the officials. One hand didn't know what the other was doing it seems.I was shown on their official books to be the mother of a HU citizen etc. but then they questioned my marriage? Anything just to give me a hard time or so it felt.
Since that time I have found out my grandmother and father were born in former Hungarian lands and I am half a minority class even here in Hungary. Rusyn people basically Slavs without their own country.
Found that out a little too late to help at the time though. Since then I have made contact with family on my side that is Hungarian as well as Ruysn, have names and old addresses and villages names going back over 300 years! I very well could be more Hungarian DNA wise then many of those working in the immigration office. Does make one a bit angry and does hurt ones pride at bit to feel rejected.
Even now, I may of said too much but I no longer care, thinking of leaving anyways...Don't give up , you can always refile if needed.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Hope it turns out well for you. Don't allow this to interrupt your normal daily life if possible.
If you are already living in Hungary then I sort of doubt you will be asked to leave the country.
I understand how stressful the waiting and not knowing is.
We made a huge mistake when we moved to HU, forgot the exact dates but a good 8 years back I tried to get my resident permit.
We went about it the wrong way and it lead to allot of stress.
My husband is a HU citizen, born and raised in HU. He left in 1971 for Europe and later to the US where we met.
Our son became a HU citizen via the HU embassy in Ca. because my husband submitted all the papers for him in Hungarian and spoke in Hungarian on the phone to the embassy.
Not even sure if that helped or not, this was over 20 years ago when I do not think so many people were trying to get HU citizenship through being a child of a citizen.
In my case we assumed that because we had US income, were married, I was the mother of a HU citizen and we owned property already in HU that for sure my getting a resident permit would be a breeze. My problem was I entered HU as a tourist so they really put us through the wringer getting my permit.
We , well my husband rather, refused to hire a lawyer, he saw no reason as a citizen to have to go that route.
I finally did get my permit for 5 years, since then I have a 10 year permit and it was no hassle at all last time at immigration, other then having to go ina be there that is ( That place is so depressing).
During that first long wait however I was given 90 days to leave HU because someone had perhaps misfiled a paper or it was on the wrong desk, no way of knowing but all that hassle did put a cramp in our life. We were about to buy a car but no knowing if I had to go or not made buying a nice car a issue, didn't want to invest and have to go. We bought a old clunker in the mean time... Always feeling slightly angry everyday while  waiting for them to get it together at the office was stressful.
In all even now we are angry and I have never felt at home here since that lousy welcome those years back. Never expected the red carpet to be rolled out but never expected such rude behavior from the officials. One hand didn't know what the other was doing it seems.I was shown on their official books to be the mother of a HU citizen etc. but then they questioned my marriage? Anything just to give me a hard time or so it felt.
Since that time I have found out my grandmother and father were born in former Hungarian lands and I am half a minority class even here in Hungary. Rusyn people basically Slavs without their own country.
Found that out a little too late to help at the time though. Since then I have made contact with family on my side that is Hungarian as well as Ruysn, have names and old addresses and villages names going back over 300 years! I very well could be more Hungarian DNA wise then many of those working in the immigration office. Does make one a bit angry and does hurt ones pride at bit to feel rejected.
Even now, I may of said too much but I no longer care, thinking of leaving anyways...Don't give up , you can always refile if needed.

My goodness Marilyn, they did put you through the hard yards. I don't know what it is their offices are lacking - organization? It's times like these I wish I could help out doing their jobs (I do secretarial work so my OCD and time mgmt is always through the roof). I think that's why it makes this process tedious.

I myself actually live in Australia. I went to Hungary (Budapest) twice last year on holiday as I love it so much. The architecture, food, weather (both winter and summer!) I just love it. The reason why I am awaiting rather anxiously is because I wanted to begin studying at uni over there in September. Application cut offs are this weekend (I've applied anyway) but can't help but feel so disappointed if I don't get in on account of the processing times.

2 years is already a long time to wait, and I wasn't able to study last year because I was advised my case was still processing... my dad is hungarian and so were my grandparents (before they passed). I never got to meet them sadly but I can't help but feel like when I'm in Hungary I feel like I'm home. Never been a fan of Oz to be honest...

Like everyone kindly keeps on reassuring me - I just have to remain patient. I'd book a flight there tomorrow if it was ready (would save an extra two months on having it posted out).

Also - this whole process doesn't even include my passport application can you believe? That's going to be a further wait! But at least by that stage I know my citizenship would have come through (fingers crossed)!

Maybe going to the proper office here in person once you are in HUngary will speed things up?
Hope so.
I hope this paperwork has nothing to do with being excepted to the university.
Once your in country it could be easier to gain citizenship maybe?
I also have some distant cousins in OZ, whole family went different ways after 1939 when the Nazi's ivaded our area of SE Poland.
Really cool though that several relations moved back after the war and rebuilt their burnt out homes. Visited them 3 years back,Trying to set up another reunion this spring, have made contact with even more family living there since then.
They are all such nice people, write to me in very old style fashion and seem very "religious". Their families come first and they really went out of their way 3 years back to show us US relations a great time.
Poles and Hungarians really do like each other, they loved my HU husband.
All the best to you with all of it, citizenship and school.

bande11 wrote:

The reason why I am awaiting rather anxiously is because I wanted to begin studying at uni over there in September.

Anyone in the world can apply to attend and study in a Hungary University. Citizenship not required.

Is it the cost of attending as a foreign student versus as a citizen that is the issue? I might expect that may be a substantial issue.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Maybe going to the proper office here in person once you are in HUngary will speed things up?
Hope so.
I hope this paperwork has nothing to do with being excepted to the university.
Once your in country it could be easier to gain citizenship maybe?
I also have some distant cousins in OZ, whole family went different ways after 1939 when the Nazi's ivaded our area of SE Poland.
Really cool though that several relations moved back after the war and rebuilt their burnt out homes. Visited them 3 years back,Trying to set up another reunion this spring, have made contact with even more family living there since then.
They are all such nice people, write to me in very old style fashion and seem very "religious". Their families come first and they really went out of their way 3 years back to show us US relations a great time.
Poles and Hungarians really do like each other, they loved my HU husband.
All the best to you with all of it, citizenship and school.

Perhaps you're right Marilyn. :) If I do not hear back from the consulate nor the government officials come July (by which stage my application would have been processing for well over 2 years) - I may book a flight there to see if I can assist in speeding things up! My Magyar is rusty although as long as I practice my manners hopefully that will help me along - lol!

It's so interesting the history of our ancestors, isn't it? I was amazed at mine! My grandparents fled during the Uprising in '56 (like many others) and boarded a boat to Australia. My father was born in Melbourne (hence why additional time is likely added to my procedure as it has to go through him).

Thank you again for the positive mindset you've given me!