Hungarian ID Card

OK I believe my ID Card as expired as on bottom r/hand side gives a Date of 3 years since first Issuing, if so expire Date is 2015-11-26 and can this be sorted out in Szekesfehervar?
Next my property is in Partka  near to Lovasberney it is a Zarkert which I was able to Purchase in November 2015 Can this Address be used for the Hungarian ID Card as I have to now open a bank acc. for payment of Electricity water and Council Tax. You may ask why I have not noticed before, I am getting over the dreaded Cancer and hopping to be over again in Hungary shortly thanks   marwood47

I just received my Hungarian ID card (and passport) last week. How and under what circumstances is it used?

ID Card? That is normally only for Hungarian nationals. And not required. Do you mean maybe an EU citizen residence card for Hungary?

To open a bank account, some form of photo ID is requested. Your passport is fine for the photo ID. If you claim Hungary as your country of residence, then you can get the address card as well. Else, you can just bring proof of ownership of the property.

Also see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_identity_card

It says: Magyarorszag Szemeyi Azonositot igazolo hatosagi igazolvany. It came with my Hungarian passport. It has my name and mother's name, etc. am assuming it is a kind of ID card. I also guess I am now a Hungarian national, as my HU passport says my nationality is Hungarian.I am not sure what it does or is used for. Maybe it is a residency card.

Chikagoan wrote:

It says: Magyarorszag Szemeyi Azonositot igazolo hatosagi igazolvany. It came with my Hungarian passport. It has my name and mother's name, etc. am assuming it is a kind of ID card. I also guess I am now a Hungarian national, as my HU passport says my nationality is Hungarian.I am not sure what it does or is used for. Maybe it is a residency card.

Sorry for the confusion, as I did not quote the OP, but I was replying to the OP. :)

But what you have, if it looks like this:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hungariancountrycamping.com%2Fuserimages%2Flakcimet-igazolo.jpg&f=1

it is the address/resident card. If it does not look like that, I am not sure what you have.

The address/resident card is indeed one form of non-photo ID in Hungary. But you still need to always carry one form of photo ID when in Hungary so carrying that card alone is not a valid form of photo ID. To my limited current understanding, as these rules change all the time so I may indeed be wrong, the address card is normally only for residence. But, again, I may be wrong -- maybe they give them out to Hungarian citizens if they rent/own property in Hungary even if you do not have residence. I have one since I am a Hungarian resident. These should not expire by date. You only need a new one if you change your address.

Thanks for the info☺. This is indeed the card I have. But I don't own any property in Hungary. I don't have an address either there, and the card says kulfoldi cim for the address portion. (Foreign address). It must be something citizens have. Is there a picture ID you can get as well? I do have my HU passport and my American ID, and of course the US passport, in Illinois you can get an ID card as well as drivers license. Anything like that available in Hungary?

Chikagoan wrote:

The card you have is the ID card - got your photo on it? Same as passport? 

The other card ...Lakcim..is the address card.  They usually want that as well as an ID card when you do official business.

You have a bonus usage as well with that ID card (doesn't it say Identity Card underneath?). 

Your bonus is that can use it as a passport within the EU. 

There are some countries that might not accept it - forget which ones  unless things have changed to everywhere in EU-land.

Naturally it's a case of YMMV I don't have one myself and Mrs Fluffy always takes her passport as well just in case someone wants to be funny about it.  Kids don't have ID cards - I think they can get them when they are 14 or something when they can say themselves if they want them.

Thanks! It does not have my photo, is there some kind of photo ID you can also get? It looks like the one above other than the part I mentioned as being different.
Additional question: is there a pension fund in Hungary that I could contribute to?
Thanks as always   :)

Both address card and the ID card are automatically given when one turns 14. The ID card is a form of identification, the address card is merely an official paper about one's residence, usually required when one would like to ask for loans and such, to make sure people dont provide false information. The ID card doesnt contain any address.

I personally have a new biometric ID, which is/will be usable as a replacement for healthcare and taxation purposes, and also contains personal emergency information.

As to which is which, the address card is a laminated piece of paper, and the Id card is a plastic card, which can contain a chip.

Chikagoan wrote:

(Foreign address). It must be something citizens have.

Seems like it is indeed a citizen thing then.

Chikagoan wrote:

Is there a picture ID you can get as well?

Yes. The link I provided above is the official Hungarian Photo ID. But you do not actually need it. Your American or Hungarian passport are sufficient as a photo ID.

But there are some benefits to the Hungarian ID card. The laminated Hungarian ID card is less bulky and easier to carry in your wallet than a passport. And as Fluffy said, you can use that ID card alone to travel between most EU countries (you do not need your passport). In fact, if you travel by air within the EU, you can often pass immigration much, much faster if you flash a Hungarian ID (i.e. EU ID) card. So, something to consider getting the next time you are in Hungary.

This sounds really good, as I hate carrying my passport (I had one stolen in Hungary years ago on a tram) but my card does not have a picture.
So with these cards and an EU passport you can freely travel AND reside in any Schengen-treaty EU country, correct?

Chikagoan wrote:

This sounds really good, as I hate carrying my passport (I had one stolen in Hungary years ago on a tram) but my card does not have a picture.
So with these cards and an EU passport you can freely travel AND reside in any Schengen-treaty EU country, correct?

Doesn't sound correct if it doesn't have a picture in it.  Maybe it's an interim card until you get here and get a proper one.  Definitely photo ID is required.

Re: free movement of travel, yes,  you can go any (even non-Schengen) EU and EEA country (not Switzerland I suppose) and you should be treated the same as a local for employment and residence purposes etc.  It's not a get out of jail free card of course but it does mean you can go anywhere you like EU/EEA and get a job if you want.  If you wanted a job in say, Dublin or London (neither is Schengen) or Amsterdam (Schengen),  then just go there and get one!  You certainly don't need a visa and to start you don't need a residence paper either or if you eventually do, it will be automatically granted.  But I again stress you have the same obligations as a local.

Thanks a lot for the response. I will get a photo ID when I get there in June.

What other kinds of ID and documentation would be useful?

Also, when you enter the EU and have an EU passport, then how is that different from entering the EU on an America passport, other than a different line at customs?

fluffy2560 wrote:

Re: free movement of travel, yes,  you can go any (even non-Schengen) EU and EEA country (not Switzerland I suppose)

Switzerland has freedom of movement as it is in the Schengen Area.  (signed 1999, in effect 1 June 2002)

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Re: free movement of travel, yes,  you can go any (even non-Schengen) EU and EEA country (not Switzerland I suppose)

Switzerland has freedom of movement as it is in the Schengen Area.  (signed 1999, in effect 1 June 2002)

Yes, thought so.  I'd forgotten about the details as I never go there. But I am still not so sure on the work permit.  When I worked there, I had to "live" in one canton but work in another.  But it was a very long time ago.

Chikagoan wrote:

...Also, when you enter the EU and have an EU passport, then how is that different from entering the EU on an America passport, other than a different line at customs?

Usually you go to the EU/EEA passport queue but it depends where you came from. 

You might not get through any faster at EU passports or e-gates but no-one will be interested in you than say, someone from a "less desirable" country like Afghanistan.  Unfortunately the EU now wants to "inspect" everyone's passport or even scan it.  This started earlier this year under an EU directive.  With that new idea, sometimes it's just easier to go to the Any Passports queue.  I did this a couple of weeks ago - the EU one was moving ridiculously slowly.  At Budapest they've done nothing to improve the numbers of border police checking paperwork.

Time for a small rant.

Rant on:

Arriving in the EU is quite unlike the psychological pain and humiliation and treatment non-US citizens suffer going to the USA.  This is one reason to try and avoid going anywhere near it. Even worse, getting diverted or rebooked via the USA unexpectedly is horrible- happened to me once.  Total nightmare - rude and miserable people on those immigration counters and enormous queues. Awful.  One exception: some guy in SF who was quite nice.  Everyone else, Pfff!!!

Rant off.

If you arrive from one EU country to EU another, you can use the Blue lane to pass through Customs or, if inter-Schengen, there are no passport checks on arrival and you can just collect your bags.  However at Budapest airport, they don't have Blue lanes so you'll just go through Green (assuming you have nothing to declare at Red).  The Customs guys know if you came from outside the EU because your checked baggage labels (printed by the airline at check in) will not have the green strip down the outside edges.  As all goods are in free circulation within the EU, there's no reason (usually) to stop inter-EU travellers carrying stuff. 

One thing I'm curious is what happens if you are in transit and you swap passports.  I had a colleague some years ago from South America who was a dual national.  He said he simply used the European passport when entering the EU and never had a word said to him.  On departure, he used his South American passport at check in because it showed he didn't need a visa for the destination .  He then used his European passport to go  through immigration in the EU and on to the plane. The used his South American passport on arrival. According to him, no-one ever said anything about it.

Morning to all: I believe the Card I have is a Address Card and as now expired as date being November 2015 and All so my Address as Changed and have been able to make a appointment at my local Immigration Office hopefully to Change the Address But may have a Problem as this is Zakert and not sure weather I have wrights to be there owing to the Fact as not knowing  it as a Residence Permit? for my Plot, I am in wright mess If No Residence Permit then probably unable to use this Address for Residence and all so unable to have a Bank Account for payments for Electricity Water and Council Tax. i have managed to find a English Lawyer and shortly making contact asking for any Assistance, But first asking others for their feedback.    marwood 47

marwood47 wrote:

Morning to all: I believe the Card I have is a Address Card and as now expired as date being November 2015 and All so my Address as Changed and have been able to make a appointment at my local Immigration Office hopefully to Change the Address But may have a Problem as this is Zakert and not sure weather I have wrights to be there owing to the Fact as not knowing  it as a Residence Permit? for my Plot, I am in wright mess If No Residence Permit then probably unable to use this Address for Residence and all so unable to have a Bank Account for payments for Electricity Water and Council Tax. i have managed to find a English Lawyer and shortly making contact asking for any Assistance, But first asking others for their feedback.    marwood 47

Do you have to go to the Immigration Office?

I thought the Okmányiroda (document office) did the address cards.  You don't need as far as I know to go to an immigration office.

My assumption is that you are an EU/EEA citizen and would be treated the same as a local.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Moved my off topic reply to: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 29#3972732

The Card is Translated as "Official Identity Card" "Certifying Home Address" "Hungary is certified a personal identification number" Now I used this Card when Purchasing my Property and maybe have kneed to open Bank Acc. all so to change Postal Address for Electricity Water and Council Tax payments From all information I have managed to find the Immigration Office is the One I have to go to make Amendments?  thanks   marwood47

Are immigration offices of in major towns or only in Budapest?

What other EU nationalities are represented among expat in addition to UK?

Thanks Chikagoan I have maid a appointment in Szekesfehervar via internet booking and I am hopeful have a Friend to attend to act as Translator, If successful going afterwards to open a Bank Accnt. That over with Bank account number going to set up standing orders for Electricity water and council tax payments    marwood47

We are Americans and even we dislike traveling into the US from Europe.
My old friend in Vegas is handicapped and her husband is retired from a airline job.
He retired with all his free travel benefits so they can fly for almost nothing more then paying the tax on a ticket.
She hardly uses her free flights because being in a wheelchair they give her the physical once over take her in the back room and go over her body searching.
It is humiliating for her.
My brother still works for a major US airline, he drives all over the US rather then deal with the BS of flying.
He has never flown to Europe or any other country and used his free flight benefits.
Said he traveled enough when he was in the military, not interested in seeing other places and flying anywhere.
They are not picking on EU citizens much ore then they mistreat their own citizens in the US. It's not the same country I was born in, times are getting bad and the hire the rudest people on the planet to search and deal with the public.
I try to limit the time between flights to a few years between, takes me about that long to recover from the last flight. I dislike flying allot, being stuck for 10 to 20 hours in the air is not happening unless i get a refill on some meds. I never take any sort of drugs but save them for flying, need to be half knocked out to put up with all the BS of flying.
Once in Germany they were going through my little carry on see through plastic bag of liquids.I had about half a dozen tiny  bottles of Jack with me. The young guy asked if that was some medication, I said, yes, that's what I call it.
You will need your HU ID card for things like voting, going to your district doctors and dentists.
You can only go to doctors and dentists in your district unless you go private.