Ban lifting of cinema in Saudi Arabia

Way back 4 or 5 years ago there's a topic here about possibility of opening a cinema here on ksa jeddah and some send there negativity...I told you guys can be and it will be..now Prince Salman is lifting the banning of cinema and guest what movie 1St to be shown... :/

Let's see which movie would be played, but for sure it will be a moderate one :)

First women driving, now cinemas, I see a change of attitudes coming along bit by bit.

Yeah as per the new crown prince, they are slowly but surely moving towards “moderate Islam” !!

saimans wrote:

Yeah as per the new crown prince, they are slowly but surely moving towards “moderate Islam” !!

Given the slow but sure move away from oil, I suspect there a lot more by way of economic reasoning than religious.

100% second that !! Moving away from oil economy to normal economy. Let's see how their citizens digest all these abrupt changes.

saimans wrote:

100% second that !! Moving away from oil economy to normal economy. Let's see how their citizens digest all these abrupt changes.

I've noticed a tendency to accept change over poverty, especially by rich and powerful people who don't fancy losing their cash.
The rest tend to follow like sheep, blindly accepting the wisdom of the rich and powerful as long as they have food on their plates.

Without the debate about the rights and wrongs of the mentioned clothing, this is a massive move for Saudi if it happens. Seems they have a history of a cleric touting and idea before they go for it, probably to see what reaction it gets.
Given this dude is very senior and in a powerful position, and it was advertised on a Friday, this is almost sure to be a toe in the water to test the temperature.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43017148

Saudi women should not have to wear the abaya, a long loose-fitting robe used to cover their bodies in public, a top religious cleric has said.

Sheikh Abdullah al-Mutlaq, a member of the Council of Senior Scholars, said women should dress modestly, but this did not have to mean wearing the abaya.

Saudi women are currently required to wear the garment by law.

The cleric's intervention comes amid moves to modernise Saudi society and relax restriction on women.

"More than 90% of pious Muslim women in the Muslim world do not wear abayas. So we should not force people to wear abayas," Sheikh Mutlaq said on Friday.

I'm not sure where I've read it probably in Arab News which stated that the first movie to be shown will be with a title "The First King" and it will be in June🙂

that's true..and in addition to that, i heard also that Ministry of Tourism is organizing a huge music concert by end of this year...whoa!..party party party...