Gilles, French launching his company in Mauritius

hi there,
gilles, I am french and have been living in Mauritius for more than 2 years.
I am currently launching a web company in Mauritius.
The purpose of this company is to exchange tips and informations about destinations ( something like your old buddy tips: the hotel where it's good to stay at, the Bed and Breakfast to avoid and so on...).

Before the website comes up, you may follow the adventure at http://vinivi.blogspot.com. The blog is in french, but for those who want it in english, you will find a link at bottom of the right pane...

Any question about Mauritius and companies in Mauritius, I will be glad to answer.

Welcome Gilles!

Why did you move to Mauritius?

Please note that we don't accept free advertisement here ;)

Best,

Julien

Don't worry, I won't free advertise ;)

I moved to Mauritius initially because the opprtunity rose... my past employer had a client which matched my profile. So I sold everything, took the family and moved to Mauritius.

After 2 years and a half here, well, we decided that was a good place to live...and to start a business. We deal over the internet so distance is not a problem. I also believe in this country and want to invest in it. I am bringing european experience and it is a good knowledge sharing. Not to mention also that labour is less expensive here (but less trained, which makes an average).

Any question on Mauritius, just ask...

These are very good reasons to move :)

I wish you a lot of success in all your projects! I've recently seen pictures from Mauritius it's a fantastic island!

I heard there are a lot of call centers in Mauritius, is that true?

Yes there are. Also Business Process Outsourcing units (my previous employer was among them).

Mauritius has several advantages:
  * people here speak fluently English and French (and creole but not very useful or call centers !)
  * incentives (tax free for instance)
  * cost of labour.

Those advantages have to be balanced with
  => lack of training and experience
  => shortage of students
  => communication costs.
Therefore, the company has to invest on training and growing skills.

To put it short, my view is that Mauritius is great for companies
  => who wish to do 'custom made' as opposed to India where it is 'industry'
  => who want to invest on people and spend less on other costs (offices...)
  => who believe in potential of the country

On the personal side, Mauritius is a great place to live (beautiful island, great beaches and outdoor activities), especially if you have kids and love the sea. If you wish to go for culture (opera, movies...), it's not the place to go to...

Interesting article (in french):  http://solutions.journaldunet.com/0402/ … rice.shtml

I think I could leave in your island, must be quite different from Mayotte where I am at the moment (next week I'll be visiting "La Reunion" for the first time).

I hope I'll get the chance to visit Mauricius next time :)

who want to invest on people and spend less on other costs (offices...)

Invest on people and not on material It love this idea!

Anyone coming to Mauritius, just send an e-mail and we may have a coffee at vinivi... including you Julien of course.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR