What to expect when moving to Algeria

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Algeria? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Algeria?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Algeria?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Algeria?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Mobile internet speed is terrible. But apart from that, wi-fi connection and the Oreedoo's standalone portable 4G modems are quite fast.

On the mass transportation, I only used once so I can't make comment about it. There are two types of taxis in Algerie, Registered Taxis and the Clandestine Taxis. It's hard to find a taxi driver that actually uses their taxi meter, so it is wise expect high prices.

Gas is super cheap. Get/rent a car if you can. It might take time to get used to the traffic and lack of traffic lights.

Alcohol is relatively hard to get in Algiers. I know only one place that sells alcohol, apart from that, there are few places that you can drink and relax. (Like Cosmopolitan, or some of the hotels).

Culture: There are nice museums in Algiers. I have never been to the cinemas in Algeria as I heard that the films are all in Arabic. (But don't take my word for it, as I have said, I didn't go to a single cinema here). There are websites that can help you find cool events in Algiers.

Houses are spacious. But it can be hard to find one in reasonable prices. Neighbours are mostly friendly. If you are thinking of entering the building with the member of the opposite sex, be careful. People talk.