Advice needed for British family looking to move to Amsterdam

Hello all.

My wife and I are seriously considering a move to Amsterdam for our family including three kids aged 5,6 and 11. Many moons ago we would have just jumped on a plane and be done with it, but obviously a lot more needs to be considered with kids involved.

Are there any British expats that have already relocated their family to Amsterdam that could help clear up some of the unknowns for us? We would greatly appreciate a "like for like" comparison of living costs such as council tax (meh) and utility bills.

Also, is tax collected from your employer like it is in the UK or do you pay your tax bill annually?

Many thanks,

Dan McIntyre

Hi Dan and welcome to the Forum. :)

At the top of the page is our Handy Tools link; this will give you access to articles written to help you plan your move.

At the moment (pre-Brexit), you have the right to live and work in Holland; you didn't say anything about working, so I'm assuming you have that covered in one way or another.

You've stated Amsterdam; as you'll see below, it's very expensive around there, so unless it's an absolute must, I'd advise looking further away.

With regards to a cost comparison, the Numbeo organisation provides a web-based tool that will help you with that; this link will take to it.  The data is 12-months old, so will be a bit behind the curve.

Taxes overall in Holland are generally higher than in the UK (mainly because they have social taxes here that have no UK equivalent).  They are taken at source by your employer, but if you have any income from outside Holland = so not taxed at source in Holland, you can expect to pay further social taxes on that income.