Life in Miami..

G'day all,

If all goes well I should be moving to Miami within the next two months, yay!! I have some questions that need urgent attention before signing off the negotiations for my contract.

1. As my two boys are currently following the British curriculum, are there any schools that offer that curriculum and what are the fees?

2. Renting in Miami - Safest place for a young family of two and obviously the renting prices?

These are my priorities in terms of moving there.

Thanks in advance.

Ash

Yeah, every place has pro's and con's... Lets hear the cons buddy

Miami is a very cosmopolitan city leaning strongly towards the Latino side of things.  Over 60% of the population speak Spanish.

I happen to like Miami. There are many safe areas to live in, the areas you should stay away from are the Liberty City, Pork n Beans, Little Haiti neighborhoods. Some parts of Hialeah are not so good either.   You can go online and find maps that identify the highest crime areas. 

You can also seach on the web for apartment rental portals....there is a website called apartments dot com that covers the entire US. Just punch in the city and state and you're off to the races. 

This will give you an idea of the market. If you are going to ren though, I suggest you visit the complex at different times, especially in the afternoon, early evening and on weekends.  On a monday morning at 10:00 am, any neighborhood seems quiet since the criminal element tends to sleep in... talk to business owners, people in the neighborhood, they will most likely be straightforward.  Go to the police station or talk to an officer on the street and ask them if they get a lot of calls for service at the complex you are considering.  Look for reviews of the complex on the web.

As far as the schools go,if your kids are going to attend public schools, they will most likely be required to attend the school that belongs to the district where you reside based on your address.  I don't believe there is a British Curriculum school in Miami, I encourage you to seach for one.

Take care

Alex,

A bit more informative. Appreciate the reply.

Thanks!