Proof of return ticket to enter tan son nhat

hi guys, another airport experience i'd like to raise, when i entered tan son nhat airport today the immigration officer asked the bloke in front of me for proof a return ticket. so unfortunately the dude didn't have a return ticket cause he wanted to see a lot of viet nam and as such was traveling extensively and for a longer period and hence unsure of the exact date of departure. said dude struggled to explain he would book tickets whilst traveling and had firmer plans. immigration officer was not satisfied and he was ushered off into some room.

when it was my turn i was asked the same 2 words - return ticket. luckily i had booked a round trip and had a print out of it so he checked

the last 8 times or so i've never been asked for proof of return nor have i seen anyone being asked to show a return ticket.

question -whaddap with that? is it now a must to have prove on the spot that you have a ticket out of viet nam?

I have always had the impression that this was mostly airline policy but things may be changing.  Could it be that there is an increasing problem of backpacker types overstaying visas?  I noticed you use the term "dude" which implies a certain age and lack of employment.  I doubt that a first class passenger wearing a suit will be questioned.  In fact, I would have thought that you would be OK as a Singaporean but maybe you were asked because you had witnessed the interrogation of the "dude" and they wanted to appear to be impartial.

THIGV wrote:

I noticed you use the term "dude" which implies a certain age and lack of employment.

Hah! Lack of employment? Probably. Certain age? No. Retirees are no different than backpackers if they're living on tourist visas, period.

That said, return ticket verification varies with each airline and immigration officers but as far as I'm concerned, anyone entering any country on a tourist visa should be required to have a return ticket or proof of onward flight.

Kupo wrote:
THIGV wrote:

I noticed you use the term "dude" which implies a certain age and lack of employment.

Hah! Lack of employment? Probably. Certain age? No. Retirees are no different than backpackers if they're living on tourist visas, period.

That said, return ticket verification varies with each airline and immigration officers but as far as I'm concerned, anyone entering any country on a tourist visa should be required to have a return ticket or proof of onward flight.

So what happens if you are going overland to Cambodia or Laos. You still think you have to have a return ticket when entering Viet Nam. I would say there is more to this than having a return ticket.

Kupo wrote:

I...  as far as I'm concerned, anyone entering any country on a tourist visa should be required to have a return ticket or proof of onward flight.

wow, ok then, topic is settled

Easily fixed,  just email a travel agent in Saigon to book a ticket on the 777 bus to Moc Bai.   A grand total of 40k.   Show the customs guy the email booking on your phone or tablet.

What's he going to do........tell people they can't leave Vietnam by bus. 😀😀

colinoscapee wrote:
Kupo wrote:
THIGV wrote:

So what happens if you are going overland to Cambodia or Laos. You still think you have to have a return ticket when entering Viet Nam. I would say there is more to this than having a return ticket.

yeap, exactly what I wanna know. what happens if you are going overland to cambodia or laos, or just haven't booked a return ticket because you don't know when you want to leave?

THIGV wrote:

I have always had the impression that this was mostly airline policy but things may be changing.  Could it be that there is an increasing problem of backpacker types overstaying visas?  I noticed you use the term "dude" which implies a certain age and lack of employment.  I doubt that a first class passenger wearing a suit will be questioned.  In fact, I would have thought that you would be OK as a Singaporean but maybe you were asked because you had witnessed the interrogation of the "dude" and they wanted to appear to be impartial.

i thought that was a possibility, too many travelers overstaying their visas.

i take the 'dude' back since it made you jump to conclusions. He looked like a regular joe.

gobot wrote:
Kupo wrote:

I...  as far as I'm concerned, anyone entering any country on a tourist visa should be required to have a return ticket or proof of onward flight.

wow, ok then, topic is settled

hahaha

Yogi007 wrote:

Easily fixed,  just email a travel agent in Saigon to book a ticket on the 777 bus to Moc Bai.   A grand total of 40k.   Show the customs guy the email booking on your phone or tablet.

What's he going to do........tell people they can't leave Vietnam by bus. 😀😀

he could have done that had he known earlier that he was going to be met with grief. i'm not sure if he was able to email a travel agent to book a bus ticket as they took him away for 'further discussions'.

It's an international rule, No matter which country is it. If you travel to any country as a tourist visa, then you must prove that you will leave after your vacation. In this case, if you are travelling to Vietnam then next you planning to go Cambodia or Lao or Thailand then you should show your return ticket to your home country that will be from Lao, Cambodia or Thailand. Without your bright proving, they won't let you go quickly.

In many countires if you enter with tourist visa: immi officers have a right to ask for return ticket
Happened to my freinds some time in US, OZ, SA...