Mobile card reader

I live in Puerto Rico, and  make my own jewelry and sell it in various locations, I'm looking to expand my business to allow for credit cards instead of cash only, does anybody know how I can get A mobile card reader here in Puerto Rico.  In the continental US I can get a multitude of  Mobile card readers no problem, but none of them work here.

Ideas only but one seems to be aimed at PR.

http://bankinnovation.net/2013/08/plug- … d-readers/http://www.evertecinc.com/en-us/merchan … obile.aspxhttps://www.shopify.com/payment-gateways/puerto-rico

I have also looked and haven't been able to find one that works here

Thanks Fred, I'll look at them,  from what I understand the main problem is, most of the card readers are visa or MasterCard etc.  Which uses ATM, but in Puerto Rico the system is ATH and is not compatible to those other readers.

The evertec one claims to cover that.

"ATH Móvil" is an app that you can use here in PR to send and receive payments. It is quite popular among small merchants here and very easy to use. It is not a card reader, though. It connects to your bank account.
I use it on my iPhone.

The ATH movil allows you to send (or receive) funds, much like paypal, but I think a lot of ppl use it (as was said; small businesses), because it's like getting cash, and (I'm assuming) it's a way of getting cash, without having to pay taxes on it.

Yes but I believe that both parties need to have the Móvil app to work, and transfer from one to the other.

Spencerazac wrote:

Yes but I believe that both parties need to have the Móvil app to work, and transfer from one to the other.

Actually the other party needs to have a phone number link to their bank account. We transfer money to different people for services this way. Popular Bank is great with this service. We used to pay the folks that take care of our property in the island. The money is transferred within minutes.

If you are concerned with funds from tourists, many banks/credit card services as well as paypal, have a card swipe reader, that plugs into the headphone jack of most phones both Android and Iphone.

Thanks Mac 00677,  that's exactly what I'm looking for, something mobile that I can use on my phone, only the problem is most of them aren't excepted in Puerto Rico, I've tried Apple Pay, Square , Several others that won't work here in Puerto Rico

Have you check with popular bank? I have a friend of mine that use a portable one for his coconut water stand at the side of the road.

Does he have a business  license?  I've checked with Banco popular and I've checked with PayPocket and it seems that both of them require you to have a business license and other documentation.  That's not necessary in the US, you just order a reader, set up an account, link it to your bank account, and you're done.

I am not sure if he does or not. He just sell coconut water on the side of the road. But the government requires that anyone selling goods collect and provide a receipt to the customer with the taxes collected on it. So he have one of those machines. You may want to inquire with the municipal office.

Spencerazac wrote:

...  the main problem is, most of the card readers are visa or MasterCard etc.  Which uses ATM, but in Puerto Rico the system is ATH and is not compatible to those other readers.

It just dawned on me that this is likely the reason that there are no "pay at the pump" gas stations in PR.  That's a convenience which I will sorely miss.

There are a few that I know of... but civilians cannot use them.

Card readers are card readers - the pumps don't have them so you go into the store, which in 80% of the cases involves an additional purchase.  Nothing more.

After doing some research, here is what I found out about mobile card swipe/pay in PR. The ATH system is owned by EVERTEC Inc. They provide services in the Caribbean only. PR Dominican Republic , Virgin Islands . They will provide a mobile card swipe/pay system, but you have to contact Evertec Inc in San Juan. They have a website "evertecinc.com"  it has a lot of info on their system.  Hope this helps.

Evertech is expensive for small merchants. I saw someone using a Card Reader the other day its called Accepta. They have a FB page and website. They said it was $50 per year not sure if you need a Business License or not. It's a Local Company they are in Guaynabo.

I think it's laughable that the guy selling coco water is issuing receipts... most drs don't even take cards. Yes, I know there is a law but that's not real life. I'm on the board of a non-profit here and haven't been able to find a good solution for mobile payments.

Gas stations... there is a Puma app you can use for payments, as well as gasolina Móvil. They both work well!