Cell Phone

I am trying to work out a new cell phone carrier before I move next month.  I am currently on Verizon and have no desire to deal with Claro (they are trying to force that).  I am trying to decide between Sprint and AT&T.  I have heard that Sprint has improved very much.  I will be in Isla Verde.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I have had AT&T for years here. It's very reliable and has a lot of good features re: roaming and data. You can just buy a pay as you go plan if your phone is unlocked. $40/mo. There is a slightly less expensive version called Net 10 which basically uses all of AT&T's towers. I had that on a second phone. No complaints there either.

I use Virgin Mobile. No contract. It works great in PR and in the mountains of Western North Carolina. $35 a month for just phone and around $55 for internet and phone.

Yeah, Virgin and Boost are both Sprint carriers. I've been with Sprint since 1998, when I lived in Boston... when I got here, I tried AT&T (that was 2006, and it was called Cingular, then they bought AT&T and kept that name, as theirs had a crappy rep) I was in Arroyo at the time, but they didn't work in my area, I went right back to sprint. Some areas one covers, and the does not. But either is the way to go, because they don't treat PR as another country. Tmobile PR isn't the same as Tmobile US, I'd stay away from them.

I currently have Verizon in the US, will I have trouble getting a signal in PR?

Since Virgin mobile uses the Sprint towers it is considered Puerto Rico. Even though I use the same phone # or internet provider on the mainland and PR I cannot for example charge clients with my Square account via Phone or Internet from PR. I have to send them a Paypal invoice via internet

Yes, I canceled Verizon because they changed to Claro in PR and Verizon was charging me roaming fees...That was quite a few years ago so maybe it has changed but I would double check.

According to Verizon, PR is covered in my plan, what I am not sure is covered is a good signal, LOL.

I have a neighbor who is leaving claro, for lack of signal, while I'm getting 4G LTE, he's getting dropped calls at his house! I wen to his brothers house as well, and had a strong connection there as well, while Claro had poor reception. American Movil (Mexico) owns both Claro and PRT (PR Telephone... and part or most of the airport?). I hear the svc is poor... I know I had Claro internet, and it worked for about 10 min. The installer said he'd be back later that day, and when I called three times that afternoon, (as it got later and later), he blocked my number. They said if I signed up for a 1yr plan, I'd have free installation, and they charged me $22 for installation, as I said; I had internet svc for about ten minutes! I can't imagine their mobile service being any better.

I have been very happy with AT&T.  I think the problem with Verizon is that Puerto Rico is outside of it's normal coverage area, but not sure about that.

I think that the majority of verizon reps, don't know that PR is part of the U.S.  I think they do not know the difference between a hole in the ground an their @$$.

ReyP; Are you still in Worcester, or have you arrived in PR?

Yes, still in Worcester but I'm visitinng PR this weekend. I will be in Fajardo and may decide to take a trip to Rincon to see it

We will be moving to PR on 8/31 and will make arrangements for cable, internet, and phone.  We have had Sprint in the US for at least 15 years and will keep one of our mainland phones. Do you think I can use AT&T or Virgin Mobile for bundling all three services?  Is cable better than dish? This is the part about moving that I cannot stand!

Where you end up in PR will determine which is the best tv/phone/internet service.  I am now in Humacao and my only choice was Liberty Cable.  It is fine.  Where I lived in Arroyo was another story.  I used Dish Network for TV and my AT&T cell phone as a hotspot for internet. Although, now my brother in Arroyo has had success using OSNET(?), a satellite service for internet. He uses an antenna for broadcast TV and subscribes to internet-based TV services.  In Arroyo, on September 25, 2014 I put in an order with CLARO to install a telephone and internet.  As of today, July 8, 2015, they have still not installed the phone.

Almost a year later and still no word from Claro, Frogrock? Wow!

We will be in Rio Grande. We have done ok with using our Sprint hotspot while we're there on vacation, but because we will be renting out our first floor unit on Airbnb, VRBO etc., we're going to want a router for full wi-fi. It would be nice if I could make the arrangements on the phone prior to arrival, but I think that's out of the question from what I hear from postings by others on here.

melendezki wrote:

We will be in Rio Grande. We have done ok with using our Sprint hotspot while we're there on vacation, but because we will be renting out our first floor unit on Airbnb, VRBO etc., we're going to want a router for full wi-fi. It would be nice if I could make the arrangements on the phone prior to arrival, but I think that's out of the question from what I hear from postings by others on here.

FYI, there is nothing wrong with planing on using wifi in the house, the problem is that typically it does not penetrate very well thru the concrete walls. You may need to wire from one WIFI router to another to cover the house. If you are building a new house I would suggest paying for the installation of CAT5 or CAT6 Ethernet wiring to every room so you can plug in or plug in a WIFI router at every room and the backyard.
Just an FYI

PS. I just remember, you can also install special routers that use the house electric wiring, so anywhere you have a regular electric socket you can install a WIFI unit. Regardless of how many you want to install, you will need at least two of them, one connects to the regular router and the rest of them provide signal.

When using multiple routers, make them all the same "SSID", that is the name of the network and configure them similarly, with the exception that only one can provide "DHCP", that is what gives your computers their IP number. The other routers should have it turned off. This configuration will allow you to road thru the house and backyard switching from WIFI to WIFI unit without loosing your connection at all!!!!!

We have travel back and forth to PR, we use Sprint and never had any issues with their service. I have a house in Sabana Grande and the cell reception is very good.

Thank you ReyP!  The concrete walls do present barriers with our hotspot.  We can only access the internet on the patio outside, and phone reception through Sprint is also very spotty in the house, but otherwise Adlin20, we are happy with Sprint.  We want a local cell phone as well since we're going to be over there full-time anyway, and it may just be our imagination, but people tend to return your call quicker when the caller id says 787. 

We had a guest from Russia last month that purchased a tracphone and then a router through AT&T for $133 and had excellent wi-fi all through the house ... any thoughts on going that way?

Thanks!

Kim

melendezki wrote:

Thank you ReyP!  The concrete walls do present barriers with our hotspot.  We can only access the internet on the patio outside, and phone reception through Sprint is also very spotty in the house, but otherwise Adlin20, we are happy with Sprint.  We want a local cell phone as well since we're going to be over there full-time anyway, and it may just be our imagination, but people tend to return your call quicker when the caller id says 787. 

We had a guest from Russia last month that purchased a tracphone and then a router through AT&T for $133 and had excellent wi-fi all through the house ... any thoughts on going that way?

Thanks!

Kim

I have never used the tracphone service but do know a little. They contract to buy network usage for a fixed price from Verizon and I also believe AT&T. Their phones as configured will hop into either service and there is no additional charge to you. As to phones .... technically you do not need to buy a phone from them. Your current iPhone or Android phone should work. They have a prepaid service so you can try their service for a month at a time, they do seem to have 6 months contract also. If you decide to use them I recommend month to month for 90 days so you can get a good feel of their service and if it does not work well for you switch to Sprint or AT&T.

As to WIFI, good commercial WIFI routers have multiple modes or versions of 802.11 such as 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11c, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac and the new upcoming 802.11ad.

802.11ac and ad uses multiple antennas to send and receive simultaneously and to help it detect errors. But given the concrete and metal in the walls, I would recommend:
1) Connect your TV directly to the modern via a Ethernet cable,
2) Set the WIFI modem to use 802.11a, it is not as fast but the frequencies it uses goes thru wall much better.

TV connected directly to router via a wire will give it the best speed and will not be affected by bad signals so your TV should show you unbroken content, unless the issue is outside your house.

We have a local cell # with our Sprint account, you are correct, people trend to respond to our local number faster. The folks at Sprint were very helpful, they set us up an additional cell with a PR area code. This way we keep out TX number and use the additional cell in the island without having to set up an account there.

Cable (Choice, odd name, because if you want cable... you have no "choice" other than to get Choice!) is not bad, but Direct TV or Dish is a better value. I never used DirecTV, but can attest to Dish being good. Choice (if available in your chosen area) is good for internet. I have Zero confidence in PRT/Claro (mexican owned mobile & land line telephone service & DSL provider). I've had Sprint since 1998, before I ever thought of coming to PR. I've had no complaints of service, and I don't know if they provide DSL, but I do like companies that treat PR as just another state, and not as thought it's a foreign country. Both Sprint and AT&T are good like that, although Sprint is a tad less expensive... especially if you've got a legacy plan.

I bought a booster antenna from eBay, to boost the 4G LTE signals inside the eastern side of the house. The antenna comes with all the components necessary: outdoor antenna (which I mounted on the roof), indoor receiver (takes up about 1 watt of energy), small antenna for inside the house, and the line to connect the two (outside to unit, and unit to interior antenna), all said, it was about $75. it was a good investment, as my unlimited data plan is my internet (PC & TV).

We installed Claro in the house to monitor the cameras and alarm system, I have no issues so far.....We use the hotspot and our cells (Sprint) when in the house for work or pleasure.

Thank you so much valuable information.  I do have one question, sorry if it is too obvious.

So, instead of getting wired internet, some of you are just using the hotspots from your cell provider.  Cost wise, how does this work out?  How much data on average do you use (if you watch movies, and surf a lot)?  Is there a considerable drop in speed compared to getting cable internet and using a wifi router?

The hotspot option is very attractive because it means not having to deal with the hassle of the install with what seems to be less than reliable vendors.

Thank you again, this has been so helpful!

travelgurl wrote:

I am trying to work out a new cell phone carrier before I move next month.  I am currently on Verizon and have no desire to deal with Claro (they are trying to force that).  I am trying to decide between Sprint and AT&T.  I have heard that Sprint has improved very much.  I will be in Isla Verde.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I assume your phone has been unlocked, as such either AT&T or Sprint will do. Listen to the people in the island.

As to Internet access or a hot spot device that uses the mobil carrier, I do not know what others here are doing but I give you two warnings:
1) The signal will vary from time to time even in your home, so the wifi signal will be able to cary more or less traffic based on carrier strength at a given moment.
2) Depending on your plan, you may have unlimited data or a set amount. If using a set amount they will either charge you extra if you go over or prevent you from using data until the next month kicks in.

If you are going the route of using the mobile carrier signal, I just wanted you to do so with your eyes open.
Wish you luck and lets see what others say about using carrier for home Internet instead of dedicated internet access.

We have 12 Gb of data on our cells plus we use a hotspot from work. This had been enough for us. We mainly read and connect with friends via FB while in the island. But we have not been more than 10 days straight in PR at a time. So we have never been even close to the maximum in a given month.

The house internet had only been a recent addition for the security system. Well see in September how it works when we're there for 10 days.

We have 3 phones, (Sprint) totally unlimited legacy plan... last month, my phone alone used 53Gb. I use it for my notebooks' internet connection (4G), and to watch movies on my TV.

On our plan, calls and txt are unlimited, the 12Gb are just for data. Last month our usage was 4Gb of data the month before that was 6Gb, I use my tablet for reading books and FB constantly, I will monitor this once we are in the island. My sister in law have Claro for internet provider, she lives in Guayanilla and her internet works fine, I have even connected to it when we visit. My plan once we move is to use HULU, Netflix and/or Amazon as our main TV connections. We are not big into watching TV, so the usage may be minimum for movies, but we are big into reading.

travelgurl wrote:

Thanks!

We have been with Sprint for at least 10 years and have not had many problems with service in PR.  Since we are preparing to move to PR next month, we went to our local Sprint store in Grand Rapids, Michigan last weekend and made arrangements for updated cell phones, and replaced one of our phone numbers for a 787 PUERTO RICO PHONE NUMBER!  Everything was formalized last night, and we now have a LOCAL PR PHONE NUMBER, no problemo.