Urgently Need Help! Trying to immigrate before requirements change...

Hello, I am hoping someone can help us on this.

My wife and I are Americans seeking a move to Leiden or Haarlem. My wife is 29 and I am 30. Ideally we would immigrate under a Highly Skilled Migrant Visa for my wife. She holds a Master's Degree in Education and has relevant work experience as an academic coach. Since she is 29, she must only make €3170 per month to enter under the Highly Skilled Migrant Visa. Is this correct? She turns 30 in September, which increases this pay requirement and, with her background, we do not think that it is possible for her to find more highly paid work.

She wants to work in an expat school (any position) so long as she is able to meet the income requirements and the school agrees to sponsor her Visa. She only speaks English fluently will be learning some Dutch before we relocate.

If we are not able to enter under the Highly Skilled Migrant Visa, we are open to using the Dutch American Friendship Treaty to launch my small web-based business, but would feel better about moving with employment lined up.

My questions are:

1. If she can find a job that pays at least this amount in the field of Education, could she be eligible for the Highly Skilled Migrant Visa?

2. If she enters under the Dutch American Friendship Treaty as a "sole proprietor offering educational services," is it possible/likely that she could find freelance work as an educator? Example: "Katie's Education Services Company" approaches an Expat school and offers freelance tutoring services in exchange for non-employee compensation?

3. How realistic is it to enter the Netherlands under the Highly Skilled Migrant Visa given my wife's background?

Hi IDOA86,

I'd invite you to consult the Visas to the Netherlands for the time being. There are a few articles available in this thread that could be helpful.

I'm sure our fellow members will be glad to assist you with solutions to your questions.

All the best. :)

Regards,

Sarvesh
https://www.expat.com team

Hi Idoa86 and to echo Sarvesh's post, welcome to the Forum. :)

With regards to your wife; the highly skilled migrant route for Educational Institutions is limited to some specific schools, colleges and universities - I've had a quick look and none of them appear to be International Schools.  You can access the list of those establishments who are eligible from this link.  There is a minimum income level of € 1,675.73 gross per month (before social security and including holiday allowance); I've not heard of the age bands and to be honest, I'd be amazed if any teacher in Holland earned anything near less than that.

My advice is to use Google to find the contact information, then use that to contact the establishments on the list and see what they have (some Uni's offer English language courses).  If you get nothing there; use Google to find some suitable International schools, then contact them directly.  If time is of the essence, then phone them, the vast majority will speak English and experienced teachers are a sought after skill - they will speak to you.

The Dutch Government department that deals with immigration is the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND); they have a very good website that pretty much covers all eventualities; this link will take you there.

If you have any further questions, please come back to us.

Best of luck in your journey. :)