Seeking advise

Hi there, I'm planning to move to the US, but I don't know where to move... any advised on which is the best place to stay? Also is it hard to look for a job? Which area is not super expensive? I need a fresh start. Where is the biggest Malaysian community in US?

I would appreciate any advise given. Thank u in advance.

Hello,

You must have a sponsor and a work visa before to come in USA. But to find a company accepting to sponsor you, you have to prove that nobody in USA can make this job or having studied at least four years in University/Business school, etc... What are your qualifications and experience???

From my experience, many Universities have Malaysian Group Associations to network with. Since I am from Oregon, the one here that stands out is at Oregon State.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/157342684421137/
The link above is to their page . Happy to help you find direction if you need it however.

Hi Steffifi,

Sorry i forgot to mention that I'm already a citizen, but was born n raised in Malaysia. My dad is a citizen. I'm currently finishing my diploma in Business administration here in May. I've been working for the past 10 years. It just i don't know which city is the best to move to as I've never been to the states. Thank you for your reply.

Best Regards,
Mariam

HI Lumberman,

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll give it a consideration.

Best Regards,
Mariam.

A lot will depend on potential job opportunities and personal interests when you move. If you prefer a bit warmer climate, San Diego is awesome without having the Az. heat to deal with in summers.  Portland has great spring, summer and fall and  is good if you don't mind a little grey in winter months. One of the reasons I chose it originally. also, if you like more of a change in seasons, I'd suggest Denver or Colorado Springs. Sunny, warm, dry and overall fun. I'd also try to visit a few places a bit as you can. I can help if you want to visit Portland / Seattle.  .....:)

Sorry ,I just saw the US Citizen part.
You will be just ok>
Avoid. CA, Chicago, Oregon etc The are democratic hangouts who have lost their heads.
Try Northern Virginia, Texas etc.

Tc

Which state is not that racist for an asian american? Im a bit concerned, as i saw a lot of things online thats happening there.

Hi Lumberman,

Thank you so much for your offer. I will keep in in mind when i get there. I still need to do a lot of research before i make a decisions.

Kind Regards,
Mariam

I was born in Chicago and while a cool city, I think there are better options for weather. Feel free to send me a note when you decide to head to the U.S.  Glad to help !

Atlanta, Georgia is an option, I have lived here for now 7 years. It has the busiest International airport giving one access to cheaper flights all over the world, great for international businesses. The cost of living is very reasonable, compared to places like New York or California. The city has a growing film industry and tech industry providing plenty of opportunity for jobs. Urban projects such as the Atlanta Beltline are increasing accessibility as well as providing for a healthy live style. If you need any more info please just ask

Cheers,
Gavin Munoz

So...whats your update and direction for the U.S. ? What decisions have you made so far >

Hi Gavin, Thank you so much for the info. I will consider it and do some research.

Best Regards,
Mariam

Hi Lumberman,

A friend of mine just moved to San Francisco. She's asking me to go over there and join her. I'm still considering as well, because the cost of living there is kind of high.

Best Regards,
Mariam

Yes , you'll find it quite high there but with two of you, sharing, it is possible to create something. Great city for sure. I've been there quite often since it is so close to Portland. Happy to help your process if you need it .  I'm fairly creative with ideas, once I know the direction and circumstances. Feel free to ask.   xxx  and I'll give you my contact info. to use.  Hope your week goes well !! 

Steven

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
jamesduraiswamy wrote:

Sorry ,I just saw the US Citizen part.
You will be just ok>
Avoid. CA, Chicago, Oregon etc The are democratic hangouts who have lost their heads.
Try Northern Virginia, Texas etc.

Tc

For a person who grew up overseas these places are exactly the place to go; more open to people of different backgrounds. If you want to meet bigoted, rednecks who hate foreigners then follow the advice above.

St. Louis, Misssouri is a good place to live. It is clam and quite. Getting a job is not so hard.

Hello! I've heard in Ocean View, DE there are many Malaysian Americans