Kveðja frá Íslandi / hi from Iceland

Sælir,

Ég flutti frá Boston í árið 2004 og er að búa hér á klakanum. Mér finnst landið okkar svo spennandi og samfélagið mjög gott. Ég er að blogga Íslandsskýrsluna um lífið hér.

Kveðja,
Jared

Hi,

I moved from Boston to Iceland in 2004. I am really enjoying life here, and find the society here supportive and endlessly fascinating. I write The Iceland Report about my life here in the Land.

Best,
Jared

http://icelandreport.blogspot.com/

Hi Jared! I've always wanted to go to Iceland...just bookmarked your site for future info! :)

Welcome on board Jared!

Don't forget to add your blog address in your profile > personal and to locate yourself on the user map ;)

Why did you move to Iceland?

I really wanted to try living here, as I became fascinated with the land and its culture on my very first visit. Somehow, on my third visit, I miraculously found a great job and so decided to take the plunge. It's one of the best decisions I ever made.

Do you know where we could see pictures from Iceland?

Somehow, on my third visit, I miraculously found a great job and so decided to take the plunge.

Sounds fantastic Jared :) Did it take you a long time to find the job or not really?

Welcome Jared.
Wow, Iceland. For me, it even sounds like an utopia. :D

Julien,

Here are some pictures I took when I first moved here: http://tnight.net/folder-view.php?folder_id=12284
You can find more on that site. Also, Flickr has a good selection.

I got really lucky on the job. I sent out 30 CVs before my third trip here, and one of the people I wrote agreed to meet with me. When I went to his firm, it turned out to be a tiny 2-man operation, but for some reason these two guys had taken an interest in me and spent a couple hours cold-calling on my behalf. They found the perfect job for me, and by the next day I had a job offer at that other firm, conditional on me learning Icelandic.

Jo Ann, it is utopia. I love the place in a deep way.

Thanks Jared, I'll have a look to the pictures with interest :)

(I think the international medias don't speak enough about iceland)

Maybe the best way to find a job abroad is to contact local recruitment companies isn't it? (but I am not sure it works if you're contacting them from abroad?)

Well, Iceland doesn't make the news much. With only 300,000 people and way up at the top of the map (in fact left off many maps) we are easily forgotten. Which is too bad, because we have one of the oldest surviving languages in Europe and some of the oldest literature as well, not to mention the world's first parliamentary assembly. (founded A.D. 930)

That said, Iceland has been in the financial news a lot these last weeks, because of a currency and stock market crash that may presage a similar crash in another, much bigger debtor nation: the USA.

The local recruiters are no help, at least here. I think the best way to find a job is always with your two feet on the pavement, a smile, and a handshake.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR