IT jobs in Austria

Hello,
I am an Italian PHP junior developer and I am planning to move to Austria (preferably Vienna).
I speak a B1 level German (advanced beginner), but I am not fluent at all yet (my writing and reading skills are definitely better then my speaking ones). I have lived for several years in Asia and I can speak Chinese and English.
So, I would like to know if there's anybody on this forum who could tell me how difficult it can be to get a job in the IT field in Austria, for somebody coming from a European country.
Being able to fluently speak German would make a big difference, is that right?
In this case shall I consider to move to Austria to improve the language first or just apply for a different kind of job?
Any other suggestions or ideas are highly appreciated :D
Thank you very much in advance!!
Giuly

A good command of German is good in your field of work, but it would seem English is more wildly used. Chinese is an added bonus as in some cases it may be of use. As you are from Italy I am guessing you speak Italian? This will be another advantage to you.

Good news as Italy is part of the EU, you don not need any work visa to work in Austria.

Being around people speaking German, as you already have the basic command of the language it will get better and better.

Have a look at the countries job website www.ams.at this will a better insight to what jobs are on offer in the country.

Good luck

Simon

Hi Simon,

It's great to come to know that English is widely used in the IT field in Austria as well. I had a doubt about this.

Thank you so much for your post!!

Giuly

Giuly123 wrote:

Hi Simon,

It's great to come to know that English is widely used in the IT field in Austria as well. I had a doubt about this.

Thank you so much for your post!!

Giuly

This might be of interest to you, I don't know?

http://www.karriere.at/f/easyname-%C3%B6sterreich

Hi Simon,

Yes, I have already been on the website Karriere.at. It's kind of you suggesting it.
I didn't know the first one though (www.ams.at) and I found it a good tool for a closer monitoring of the IT job market.

Anyway, what I find most valuable is the point of view of people who know the country... something you don't get so easily just by browsing job ads.

For instance, I have noticed that the only city (in German speaking countries) where one can find a good number of IT job ads in English is Berlin. But I am not willing to move there.
As for Austria, nearly all of  them are in German... and this puts me a bit off, to say the truth.

Thank you again for your advice.

Giuly