Mailing in Bulgaria

A question has been puzzling me for a couple of weeks now.
I live in a flat in Sofia, the inbox doesn't have my name on it. That was no biggie until someone said they wanted to mail me a letter.
I guess I might solve that talking to the landlord, but still, I was wondering what would happen if a letter arrived with my name to my building, and the postman failed to find an inbox with my name ?

Would the post keep the letter ? I sometime see papers taped on the front door of the building, which I guess are notifications.
Same questions about parcels ? What if I order from Amazon for example ?

Thx in advance my expat friends :D

For me it has happened a few different ways. Packages that I have the tracking number for- I wait until they hit my city and then go to the post office in the morning. (But I am in a smaller city and the post office is just across the street from me.)

If I am not waiting for it, they usually leave a note on the door of the block and then I go and get it the next day.

With letters, it depends on where it is coming from. I have had it go to the post office and pick it up, like a package. But I have also had the post man come by and knock on my door and give me letters. If I wasn't home, they left it on the doorstep of my apartment... kinda risky considering I don't trust everyone in the apartment.

Keep in mind that if you are ordering something that has to go through customs, you will just get a customs slip and have to go sort it out in person- but in the past I had a hard time getting those slips, so it is important to make sure you have your phone number on the package. In fact, for letters, packages, or whatever, I usually tell people to include my phone number now so the post office can call me.

I have heard of this issue were you actually have to go to the post office or the post master/mistress will make a personal intervention to inform you of your letter or package, I think that I would be investing in a mail box on the wall that you can put your name or flat number on? Having been an ex-postman in the UK the idea of leaving post on someones doorstep sounds ridiculous, either way buying a post box or even letter box matter not if you have to pick up your own post? Out of curiosity are your letters addressed in English?

It is a little ridiculous to leave the letters on the doorstep, especially when I had a mailbox at the front of the flat with our flat number and names clearly written on it. I think the problem is that a lot of people do not use their mailboxes, and as the flat changes ownership, keys get lost and, from my experience, people just don't bother with them. In our new place, our apartment shares a mailbox with the apartment across from us, and they are out of town for the next three months, so there is no way to get a key to the box.

When I lived in Varna, my in-laws had never had mail delivered to their house... in the past over 20 years, not a single piece of mail... I had to go to the post office and tell them where the flat was on a map to start getting my mail there.

Really, the best thing to do is to go to your local post office and create an understanding with them there, where they will deliver and if they will call you.

For example, in my village, the postal woman never bothered to go to my home (even though she knew where it was)... she just stopped in to my work, because it was easier for her. Not a big deal except then all of my co-workers knew every time I got mail.

Thank you for your details. Buying a postbox seems indeed the easiest solution and that's certainely what I will do.

Though it's good to know that post is not so procedural in this country and that they won't throw away my letters if they don't get to find me :D I will visit the post office tomorrow to make sure everything's ok with them.

Btw, regarding parcels, you're right, I'll make sure my phone number is included.

Enjoy the week end (and the snow that just came back)