Permanent Residency in Belize

As the requirement of a monthly income of $2000 to obtain the QRP visa is a bit beyond me, I'm looking at gaining Permanent Residency by another visa.
Am i reading various websites right in thinking that if i stay in the country for a year then apply for perm residency I dont need to do anything else other than buy a place to live?
Other countries, Panama, Ecuador, etc seem to ask for some sort of minimum investment of some kind.
Thanks

garyclarke1962 wrote:

As the requirement of a monthly income of $2000 to obtain the QRP visa is a bit beyond me, I'm looking at gaining Permanent Residency by another visa.
Am i reading various websites right in thinking that if i stay in the country for a year then apply for perm residency I dont need to do anything else other than buy a place to live?
Other countries, Panama, Ecuador, etc seem to ask for some sort of minimum investment of some kind.
Thanks

Gary;
My understanding is that the only requirement to obtain Permanent Residency in Belize is to reside in Belize for one year without leaving for more than a total of 14 days per year. At that time application can be made, but I see no guarantee of approval. I have not found much up-to-date information on this topic but will share a link at the bottom of my comment of what I have found. The departments website only indicates that all sections must be completed (link to application there). There are requirements for medical tests, a police report, passport copies, and other requirements. But note that there is no section to provide proof of any type of investment.

Immigration officers will tell you that it is beneficial to your approval to show investment by purchasing property, but not required as far as I can tell. My application has been in for 14 months and nobody has ever told me it is a requirement. Personally I question the wisdom in making too much investment without some commitment of approval from the country. It is a two way street in my opinion, and that might just be my comfort level. Many do just that without problems.

Hope this Helps.

http://ins.gov.bz/index.php/belize-perm … uirements#

There is no requirement for investment and it will not change the process either way. My son has had his paperwork in for 15 months and supposedly only one interview more  to do, but they told him that in December. You still have to have your monthly visa renewal at Immigration during the processing period. If you leave the country during the process they're more lenient with days out of country.  My son was advised that when you come back into Belize after a vacation ignore the (free) 30 day Visa they put in your passport and still sign on on the regular date from your last stamped date.

Many thanks Bill & Terrific, it certainly sounds like they make it easier to become a permanent resident than some places then.
Could i just ask, when you mention having your applications in for 14/15 months, is that after the initial 12 month period or including it?

Thanks

That is after the first 12 months have to be completed before you can put in the application and they are strict on the total of 14 days out of country, and that includes  even a day trip shopping in Chetumal, in that period go over the 14 days and you start the 12 months again.

terrific wrote:

That is after the first 12 months have to be completed before you can put in the application and they are strict on the total of 14 days out of country, and that includes  even a day trip shopping in Chetumal, in that period go over the 14 days and you start the 12 months again.

Sorry, but the way you phrased it, it is still not clear to me. Are you saying that after 12 months of renewing his visa once a month, your son put in his residence application 15 months ago for a total of 27 months since he entered Belize?

Has anyone who has already gained residency, managed to do it any quicker than the 25/26 months that is being reported here?
I understand that the applicant has to pay ($1000 for US/Canadian citizens, $1500 for UK citizens) for a permanent residency visa - is that payable after the initial 12 month period, or when the permanent residency visa is finally granted?
I would have thought the Belizian authorities would rather take the application fee off people rather than keep taking $50 per month to keep anyone waiting.

garyclarke1962 wrote:

Has anyone who has already gained residency, managed to do it any quicker than the 25/26 months that is being reported here?
I understand that the applicant has to pay ($1000 for US/Canadian citizens, $1500 for UK citizens) for a permanent residency visa - is that payable after the initial 12 month period, or when the permanent residency visa is finally granted?
I would have thought the Belizian authorities would rather take the application fee off people rather than keep taking $50 per month to keep anyone waiting.

Hi Gary;
Yes the 14/15 months is after the 12 month waiting period. We arrived Nov. 2014 and applied on Dec. 2015 and are waiting on final interview 14 months later (this is not a long time on average). My understanding from talking to officials is that the department is working on approval of late 2015 now.

There are several reasons for the delays IMHO. The department is under staffed, most workers are not production driven, and of course the whole process was put on hold last year for several months to investigate corruption in the department.

The corruption that I previously mentioned was in large the granting of residency by officials that were paid off to expedite the procedure. So to answer your question yes some have expedited the process, often without the paid officials filing all proper documents and back ground checks, Once this is discovered your residency may be reviewed and require reapplication. My opinion is that going through the proper procedure is the best way. You know "the long way is often the quickest way home".

The application fee is actually a fee for the PR stamp and is charged after the approval. Makes sense to me that the government would collect more money by renewing stamps up until approval and then the processing fee on top at the end.

Work out the sums $50us X 21 plus 6X $25us  it is financially  better for the Belize coffers to Keep you signing each month and THEN ask for the $$$ fee when application is completed.

terrific wrote:

Work out the sums $50us X 21 plus 6X $25us  it is financially  better for the Belize coffers to Keep you signing each month and THEN ask for the $$$ fee when application is completed.

Yes it does add up, then add to the government fees, transportation costs each time that one might need to pay. Example: In Placencia between the Hokey Pokey and the Cab fare it's about US$12-$15 round trip each month.

27 months = $1,200 visa fees + $405 transportation + $1,000 Stamp Fee = $2,605.

It is not uncommon for people to wait two years or more after application.