Following fashion in Nepal

Hi everyone,

Do you follow fashion trends in Nepal? Every country and every culture has its own dress code. As far as you are concerned, have you changed the way you dress?

Can one easily find fashion boutiques in Nepal? Are clothes expensive there? Or cheap?

What do Nepalese usually wear or like to wear the most?

Share your experience!

Priscilla

When i was leaving Europe I had 2 suitcases (inexperienced traveler). When they said the extra suitcase would cost over $500 I left it right there. The other suitcase was my memory foam mattress topper and a few more things. That was when I was going to India. I adopted the Indian attire when I arrived and love the kurta dress.

I've had a problem with the elastic being too tight, so I've had my tailor make a little adjustment: I have her put elastic only in the back of the pant. Then the front half she puts a drawstring. So comfortable! If i have to use a nasty squat potty in Kathmandu I don't have to worry about the string ending up on the floor. I also have her make the pant bottom so I can raise them above the calf so they don't get wet.

The kurta look is quite nice, cheap and comfortable. They are so colorful and cheap to have made. With fabric the outfit is usually under $20. It's also fun to buy a new scarf for whatever I'm wearing.

When you go back home if you just come for a short stay I think the kurta is great for entertaining. It's like a cross from pajamas and a dress up outfit.

If you want to buy something everyone will comment on for New Years the sari is great. You can find beautiful silk with glitter for under $50.

It seems like many Nepali like to wear the fake designer shoes and clothes. I would love to wear nicer clothes but i am a large man and nothing here fits so i wear the same set of clothes every week until i lose weight.

You can get a pair of jeans made for around $10, maybe more if you're European size. But they do a great job (get a reference) and let them make you a pair. Then if you go to Bishal Bazaar at the end of New Road, by the entrance to Darbur Square you can find the tailor the king's family used. They can make an Armani suit for around $200 custom. Amazing quality.

You can have shirts, slacks, jeans and just about anything else you'd want to take home to wear. You can even have shoes made. I think this is the biggest bargain in Nepal.