Living in Pokhara

I am retiring soon and wish to move to Pokhara Nepal. Can anyone explain if this is possible? What are the Visa requirements? How does the new constitution effect this decision? Will I be able to work in Nepal? What is the cost of renting an apartment or house? Any help insight you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

As far as work goes, if you have internet skills or can write a grant proposal you won't have a problem working. But we cannot, and should not, take jobs from local people. Grant writing is in high demand in Nepal.

Could you clarify please what is the "grant proposal"?

Hehehe ... the same question I see here ... does this imply grant writing for other charities and things like that?

hi you can contact me in pokhara

hi you can find many friends in pokhara who decided to stay in pokhara after retirement

I retired and have moved to Nepal and live at Lakeside in Pokhara. When I read your ad I was concerned due to feeling you have not completed any research. If you are an American citizen, you can only live in Nepal legally for 5 months in a calendar year. Then you must leave. One trick is to live in Nepal from August thru Dec. (5 months) then live in Nepal from Jan. thru May. That give you a total of 10 months in a row in Nepal. The country is a disaster right now with no cooking gas and limited petrol for cars. There are no taxis now. Everyone must walk where ever they want to go. Yes, there are brand new vehicles parked in front of the high cost paragliding and river rafting shops because they transport high paying tourists for these rugged sports but they are not available for the common tourist. Even the restaurants are cooking over fires now with wood being sold by the Nepali government to it's citizens so they can cook. I got a 10 year, multiple-entry visa from India and plan to live in India when I can't live in Nepal. I also plan long stays in Thailand and Sri Lanka. If this type of vagabond life appeals to you, great. come on over, Nepal needs your money to recover from the earthquake. I am renting a nice 2 bedroom, 2 bath, flat in a middle class neighborhood  for $250 (U.S. dollars) a month including WiFi and all utilities. It is a 10 minute walk to the lake and main street where all the shops are. You cannot work on a tourist visa so just don't get caught. You could possibly work out a rent reduction in exchange for English language lessons for the children of the owner's family. Feel free to contact me for more information if you decide you want to go for it. Another option is to wait 6 months or year before coming. Anything from a humanitarian crisis to a civil war could break out here. It is not for the faint hearted.

Hi,
        Thank for your information.but if you want to stay long it is better to get business visa.it is possible to get business visa with some agency without investing.
               may i know your number so we can meet i look forward to reply from you
                                                                                           with regards
                                                                                                jit

Hi, first of all i appreciate your decision to retire in pokhara.if you want to retire out of your country.undoubtly pokhara is the best place in the world and when you will come to pokhara you will know it
    for visa it is easy and it depends to you how long you want to stay.for long stay also visa no problem
    for rent it depends for one bedroom furnished it starts from 150$ for two bedroom from 250$ for long stay price can negotiate.
        if you need more information.please feel free to contact me.
                                                                                                                             with regards
                                                                                                                                       jit :top:

Thanks for the update on life in Pokhara. I'm also a retired American living here in Nepal. I'm in Changunarayan, a lovely ancient village in the Kathmandu Valley.

We still have local buses running here, but this is the worst I've seen it in 5 years I've been here.

Aren't they giving Retirement Visas anymore? That is also an option, no?

With retirement visa one is not allowed to do business. An annual total required pension income into a personal account to be opened in Nepal is minimum 25000 Dollar.  :nothappy:

Matbrn,

Have you been to Pokhara and Nepal? My suggestion would be, as someone mentioned, come in August and stay til May. There are many optional visas, but be very careful about doing funny visas. Seriously, I know one person who couldn't get their passport back from one of these 'agents' for 5 months only to find 5 months over-stay! They had done nothing, but then only gave a couple hundred dollars because he had lived in Nepal for the 5 months. What can you do when this happens? They hold all the cards and 5 months overstay gets you a plane trip home-not to India.

Nepali are really lovely people, but there are a lot of cultural differences that you will think are cute at first. But it's as difficult as it is lovely to live here long-term. There are ways to work legally, or without getting into trouble, but even volunteering can get you in trouble if you fall into the wrong Nepali hands.

Feel free to send me a PM. If you tell me about your background sometimes I can think of a legal angle. I also know some people I could ask. There is this room in Ktm where they put tourists who get into trouble and it happens more often than you might think.

"I am retiring soon and wish to move to Pokhara Nepal. Can anyone explain if this is possible? What are the Visa requirements? How does the new constitution effect this decision? Will I be able to work in Nepal? What is the cost of renting an apartment or house? Any help insight you can offer will be greatly appreciated."