Warning: Bad Blood between Taxi and Uber

There have been many cases of intimidation of Uber drivers and clients by Taxy drivers and an occasional beating.

The Uber drivers are not allowed to pick up a ride in tourist areas, one of those is the airport, Taxi drivers will frequently soround the Uber driver vehicle and cause damage.

Carefull
Rey

Ah, you're having fun as well. We had taxi driver riots over here.

When I used Uber, some of the drivers also had jobs as Taxi driver.

Did they beat themselves Frogrock?

Does anyone have any information on whether these tensions are continuing?  I would appreciate it!

To my knowledge the bad blood is still there. There is the possibility that taxi and Uber may come under the same regulatory agency by it is just talk at the moment.

Thanks, Rey, this is helpful!

The base problem is that taxy drivers can pick up fares in tourist areas and Uber is not. Taxy drivers complain that Uber is picking up people from locations that they should not. This is partly true and partly wrong.
The law is not very clear as to what locations and streets are dedicated only to taxis. Also the law does not prohibit dropping people off at tourist locations but taxy drivers do not like it. Example: only taxy drivers are allowed to pick up rides at airport, Uber is not allowed, but Uber can drop of people at the airport, tourist will sometimes jump into Uber car and refuse to get off, taxy drivers then get angry and may confront the Uber driver if he does not leave quickly.

Taxy drivers are complaining that the police is not enforcing the law and ticketing Uber drivers. So some taxy drivers have resorted to intimidation and violence. Unfortunately some Uber drivers are correct in picking some rides at some locations and dropping people where ever per the law, some Uber drivers are standing their grounds so, conflicts are happening from time to time
This whole situation is scaring tourists and giving PR a bad name.
A lot of cities and states tend to favor the local taxis when in reality all modes of transportation should be treated the same in order to provide the riders with choice.
PR taxis have a bad reputation of being rude and unhelpful and this situation is not helping either.