Where to exchange $

I am thinking to go to Medellin and stay few months to see how i feel and if is suitable for me to move permanently . The problem i have is when i see the official exchange rate at xe.com is lets say 1 usd = 3000 Col , but when i check  sites for currency exchange offices on   internet  i see they offer 2400 Col for a dollar . This ls huge difference !!! How do you guys change money and where ?  I am  coming from Brasil and planing to bring cash   US Dollars .

I keep all my cash (like most gringos i know) in my US bank or credit union. Just use atms. No exchange worries and it's safe...i mean i use atms safe locations just like i did in the states.

Carrying around large amounts of cash, which if lost is gone for good and always seems to act as a crook magnet, is not recommended.

For day to day needs many and probably most use a debit/credit card to withdraw funds from their bank account via an ATM (also called Cajero ATH, A Toda Hora).

Even if the daily withdrawal limit is only 600,000 COP or so (and most are at least that) that's around 200 USD which is a lot of money by Colombian standards and can last a long time.  YMMV.  Plus you'll usually get a much better exchange rate than from a casa de cambio.

Yes but in Brazil we don have option to have usd bank accounts  if i use my Brazilian real account ATM i will be hit with extra charges ( i believe we have extra tax of  6% or so ..plus all the bank charges  , the government here don't want Brazilians to spend money outside Brazil and they hit you with all kind of charges  )  this is why i ask about cash exchange . Tell me  how is the exchange rate if you use ATM ? how close it is to the official rate ?

You will always pay some percent for the privilege of buying or selling another currency from your home currency.  The rate depends on your bank, if they charge foreign transaction fees, if they reimburse ATM fees, etc.  So the answer is, it varies, you would have to check with your bank.

How about if i want to buy 15 000 usd car  or pay 1200 usd for my monthly rent ..do i have to go to ATM every day for few months in order to get all the money ?  I just ask what is the best way to exchange money and if what i see on internet is true ? Transferring money in and from Brazil is nightmare too , here they rob you and take away 8-10 % from your money , you dont have option to keep them in USD or Euros ,, any time you have to buy or sell reals at bank rate (you lose 10% )

I guess i wont be heading to brazil thats for sure. But ive got a petty nice 2 story 3 br 2 full bath house with large courtyard with an 8 to 1o foot wall around it here in rionegro barrio of  San Antonio. In a nice super safe neighborhood where i can walk the streetsanytime. No worries and my rentjust less thn $400 usd. $1200 usd? id be able to rent a castle. Ha

And my friends in Cali say im getting ripped off

Most of my gringo friends that need  lot of money one time...or more than my $500 daily limit use banks like swab. Dont tell them you live in colombia. You need an American aaddress.

Floridaray wrote:

. No worries and my rentjust less thn $400 usd. $1200 usd? id be able to rent a castle. Ha

i see..good for you ! I wish i can see some picture of your house for 400$, . We were talking about money exchange , thank you for your help .

Hello Buddy,

How are you? Hope things are great. Let me know if you are looking to exchange US dollars, I can hook you up with a really good rate.

Cheers

Sat

Sehaz,

What rate are you offering?