Speaking Kiswahili in Tanzania

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Kiswahili is essential for a successful integration in Tanzania. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Kiswahili? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Tanzania?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Tanzanians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Ms Priscilla

Thank you for a necessary question raised to me. In fact I am just managing little bit with the help of colleagues. Looking forward to a place or outlet to learn language.

Regards
Siddharth

Yes I do speak Kiswahili the sweet African language  :)

Hi priscila

As you aaked  speaking kiswahili or swahili is not much needed in all places most of them speaks English but in few places it is needed. And  also  if  you  able to speak swahili  mean  it  will be more benefit u can reach people easily and also they respect you more.
learning swahili  it  depends on how much interest you shown
1.learning thru classes
2.learning thru peopls

as i said if u go classes it will.little faster you can learn and also many books available english to swahili ...either u go class or not u can use books. And  also on ur interest you can learn from peoplesvby interacting with them it will be take time .

swahili or Kiswahili using english Alphabets and also for speaking one of the nice and sweet language

Regards

Hi.
I speak Kiswahili and I had to learn it the hard way. I work with general labourers.
To answer your question:
1. If youre going to deal with the general populace and you do some shopping at local vegetable and fish markets for example and you require general services, you have to know the local language very fast, otherwise there will be terrible comms breakdown and you will be charged exorbitantly for any services offered. There is a price for the local person and   a different price for the non- Swahili speaker.
2. If youre working for institutions and organizations where its professionals all around...Swahili is not an issue because you will be speaking English only. However, you do need to learn basic Kiswahili so that you feel welcome in this society because this is not your home. Though not a must, but you should learn the language.
So, for me I found an old man who knows English and it became very easy for me to learn Swahili by asking in English. Working with shop floor personnel became a joy as communication became smooth. I still use a Swahili application on my mobile and it improves my grammar daily.

Thats my experience. Hope it helps.

Yes I do speak it but like a toddler. The listener smiles at my words and pronunciations but they get the message.

Hi,
Kiswahili is the national language in Tanzania and so it is spoken everywhere. English remains the official communication medium however people in working places still speak Kiswahili.
To have a smooth integration in the Tanzanian community, you definitely need to know the language. As someone mentioned in a comment, when you can speak Kiswahili even on the streets you are considered much as a local and so getting services becomes much easier than ever.

There is one very good Language school I once worked for, it is in Morogoro, about 200Km from Dar es Salaam where many non-swahili speakers go to learn. But the best way of knowing any language I believe is by interacting with the speakers meaning talking to people in your community. You may go to a language school take a long course and still not be able to speak unless you practice as part of your daily living.

Kiswahili is a very nice language spoken all over east and even central africa.

Hi,

I think it is very important to speak Swahili. I was lucky to have to learn it at ground level out of pure necessity for communication purposes. There are many schools you can attend depending on where you live. It was difficult for me at first but once you understand it's basic principles it gets easier.

Am learning it . I t is the main language. so far so good

Vizuri sana!

it is very easy to learn kiswahili if you speak english..dont worry interaction with indigenous will be very easy if you speak english..when are you expecting to be here?

xxxxxxx

Moderated by Sarvesh 7 years ago
Reason : No free ads allowed on the forum + post an ad in the classifieds section of the website
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct