Socializing with ladies

Hei, I am Bettina and just moved to Copenhagen last November with my husband due to his work.

I tried to find part time job or volunteering job in order to socialize with other people, but without Danish language it seems quite difficult. Finally I engaged myself with online language course :)

Since I am pregnant I cannot participate at late night gatherings so I was thinking to write here and ask if there are other mothers, mothers-to-be, housewives or any ladies who would like to chat sometimes and share local experience irrespective of nationality, religion or age.

Lets create a WhatsApp group and see how can we benefit from our free time. If it might interest you, kindly send me a private message so we can start a group.

Best regards, Betti

Hi Betti,

I can't be of help yet but planning to move to Copenhagen just after the summer. My daughter will be around 10 months old and I'm going to be in the same position as you! So I will definitely hit you up then if that's okay haha :)

Dear Sophie, good luck with moving and if I can help in advance let me know.

And congratulation for your daughter. :heart:

Hello ladies

I'm up for some lady chat, no children here in Denmark but I am a nanny do i too don't have much time for late night parties. Been in Copenhagen 6 months and don't know anyone other than my boss so be nice to meet fellow ex pats of all nationalities, is be up for whatsapp :-)

regards

Lyn

Hi Betty

I suggest that you take a look at Meetup.com as there might be groups of interest to you. What about https://www.meetup.com/international-pa … openhagen/

/Nellie

If you're having difficulty with meeting, and socializing with Danes, then you definitely have a personal problem that has absolutely nothing to do with language differences.

The Danes (on an average scale) have a far better "working knowledge" command of the English language, than do the average American or Brit. And, it has been so, in all of Scandinavia, for nearly 50 years.

In addition, Danes, like most (indigenous) Scandinavians, are among the friendliest, most sociable people in Europe.

Please do not post erroneous, misleading statements on this forum. I'm sure that other members would appreciate that. Thank you. :top:

kRUBEN wrote:

If you're having difficulty with meeting, and socializing with Danes, then you definitely have a personal problem that has absolutely nothing to do with language differences.

The Danes (on an average scale) have a far better "working knowledge" command of the English language, than do the average American or Brit. And, it has been so, in all of Scandinavia, for nearly 50 years.

In addition, Danes, like most (indigenous) Scandinavians, are among the friendliest, most sociable people in Europe.

Please do not post erroneous, misleading statements on this forum. I'm sure that other members would appreciate that. Thank you. :top:

I believe p.bettina was simply conveying her personal experience in the country, which is perfectly acceptable here.  She was not making an erroneous, misleading statement.  Tone it down please.  We are here to help one another.  Do you have any useful advice to offer? That's what members appreciate.

Also, please review the Denmark Forum Code of Conduct, opinions section in particular for reference.  Thank you

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

I do tend to be direct, and to the  point. I did provide "useful" advice to p.bettina, despite the absence of "sugar coating" my reply. Oh well, nobody's perfect, I suppose.

Granted, I concede to the forum Rules of Conduct (re: diplomatic mannerisms, etc.), and the enforcement powers that be, in that regard. Ok?

If the OP (p.bettina) were in France, Italy, or Spain, then, I would more readily understand their social dilemma.

However, from a purely academic point of view, any rudimentary English speaking person, stating that they've had difficulty with "cross-culturally" meeting people, anywhere in Scandinavia, due to language differences, is (in my opinion) making either a prejudicial, erroneous, or a misleading statement, on a public forum.  My unpublished, personal position is firm, in that regard.

Again, I concede to your corrective reminder. Thank you, & cheers! :top:

Why not try taking the initiative by pro-actively reaching out to both genders of Danes, especially in public places, e.g., Starbucks, etc.

Danes are generally quite receptive "cross-culturally", and particularly toward English speaking foreigners. Nothing ventured, then nothing gained.

Hopefully, you'll find the above information "useful". Cheers!

FYI - Danish, like much of English, is a Teutonic language. It will come to you, by means of the "automaticity" method (workshopping), and a natural language acquisition through your association with Danish people. Guaranteed!

Best wishes for a progressive stay in Denmark. Done :cheers: .

Dear Ruben,

I am honoured to live here and respect Danish people a lot for their disciplines and hard work to make the country so beautiful and livable.

Compared to my country it is vey easy to use English for official and daily life correspondence. I used to work at different embassies in the world and I have high regards for all Skandinavian countries. It was always very easy to work with them.

What I meant to say in my post is simply the fact that I am missing the work environment and interact with people on daily basis. I wanted to be a volunteer at NGOs using my  experience and that requires naturally Danish language knowledge.

Because of my pregnancy I have some lonely days and I wanted to find other ladies who might be in similar position.

I truly hope that after my child will be born, I can engage myself somewhere and be an active and useful member of the society.

Once again, I am happy to be here and will always cherish this time of my life.

Mvh,
Bettina

Dear Ruben,

Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement.
Wish you also all the best in your international life.

Best regards,
Bettina

Obviously, there was a huge misunderstanding, on my part. I was reading your original post as stating you found Danes to be generally anti-social. Thus, my rather undiplomatic reply. I tend to be overly-defensive against any perceived criticisms of people from my adopted homeland.

Regrettably, you will not have the opportunity to best experience the pre-Eurozone people of Denmark, as I did. The result being, that I am happily, and interestingly married to a real "Dance, in the Old-Fashioned Way" Danish lady, from the City of HelsingØr. There is seldom a dull-moment between us, even now, during our Senior retirement years. We are celebrating our Golden anniversary together, in Roskilde, this coming month of May. And, we are still dancing together, to the Foxtrotting rhythms of ballroom music. (Hallelujah).

I've found that Scandinavians (generally) are among some of the most "culturally" mature people on the planet, in my comprehensive life experience. So, enjoy the Danes. You'll learn a lot about the simple pleasures of life, from them.

Again, our best wishes for your future, in the Land of the Viking sunrises. Til Lykke, :cheers:

Wow, thank you so much for sharing your personal story about what is so beautiful being international and open minded. Please also accept my sincere appreciation and best wishes for you and your wife for your upocoming happy years together. I wish so much my husband would be a dancer :)

I highly agree that Skandinavian are culturally much matured than many of the European countries and we need to learn from them how to find a balance of a harmonic, happy and decent life.

I am hopeful and excited about the future and waiting eagerly for the spring and summer to come, as I have heard that gives lot of joyful time in Denmark with all the green parks.

Once again, thanks for your time to share your experience and may God bless you and your family, as well as Denmark.