English speaking General Practitioner in Sofia

Hello Expats!

I am residing & working in Sofia the last few months but I am experiencing a deadlock to my pursuit for a GP registration, I would appreciate any recommendations for an english-speaking practitioner in Sofia.

I understand that I have to have a NHIF number. From my employer I have received a 10-digit Personal Number. Do you by any chance know whether this is the one that corresponds to the NHIF registration?

Thank you in advance for any kind information you may provide.

Did you get a residence permit? If so, the personal number on your residence permit is also your health number. Also- are you an EU citizen? Not sure how it works for them, but for non-EU citizens, you need to have permanent residence to enroll in the national health care. (Given after 3-5 years, depending on your reasons for living here). If you are not an EU citizen, your employer should not take out the monthly healthcare fee from your pay. (Both I and another friend had an employer taking out our monthly healthcare fee and paying it to the fund, and we had to request a refund for about a year back, because we were not technically eligible for health care here).

If you are EU, then hopefully someone EU can chime in to help you with the process.

Hello kojidae & thank you for feedback!

I do have a long term residence permit and I am an EU citizen.

Besides the personal number on my residence permit card, my employer gave me another 10-digit number that is also personal claiming that the latest corresponds to my NHIF registration. Unfortunately, a GP that I have recently approached for registration claimed unable to retrieve any NHIF registration. Though, there had been a language gap and I would like to retry registration with an english speaking GP.

In case somebody is aware of such a practitioner I would appreciate the contact details!