French girl dreams of Malta...

Hi everybody.
I'm a french girl who is fascinated with Malta, and has the dream of living there one day. I have an english licence(language, literature, civilization)(and I speak english quite well having lived one year in Ireland), and a master in french taught to foreigners.
Can anyone tell me if I could really have opportunities to find something like teaching french for example?
I also would like to know if it would be possible for me (I'm 23 years old) to begin postgraduate studies in Malta University so that I could be sure I get a job in the island afterwards.
in short, I'm really interested in Malta, it's like a fantasy place for me, because of the mediterranean weather, the fact they speak english, and because it's european and not too far from France...but I would like to have a reasonable job, not die of hunger.

Another question : Are there many russians in Malta ? My boyfriend is russian, lives and studied in Russia, but we intend to gather in Europe to live, marry and so on....Do russians have difficulties to find a job in Malta ? He studied International Relations. Should he try to have an european diploma ?

Thank you for your answers.

K.

I'd like to help you but unfortunately, I'm not in the same situation as you. Though, I would say that Malta has many qualities but you have to consider that it has also things and drawbacks that you will experience and you won't like.

I think, if you find a good network and the good people at the good time, it will help for sure.

Malta is not a fantasy at all for me. It's an experience. I don't know what the immigrants feel because they will often say that everything is awesome but for me, who lived 2 years in Canada, I would say that you need to be very patient to get anything. 

Well, if you plan to live really here, come to visit the island for one month and try to make some contacts.

Good luck.

Hi K.

Welcome to the forum.

Malta is a great place to live but, like John says, not all is easy here.

Please read the past posts about costs of living,job situation, earning possibilities and residency, especially in view of your Russian boyfriend.Being married would make things easier in the EU.

I don't think you will find a French teaching job in Malta as all the schools focus on English for foreigners.To teach French in a Maltese school you need to qualified as a Maltese teacher and even speak Maltese as well.

Visit Malta on a vacation and see how you feel about it when you are here.
Regards
Ricky

Russians - there are a few hundred living in Malta, mainly women married to Maltese. A Russian citizen has no right to work in Malta, unless they are married to an EU citizen.

@georgeingozo: "...A Russian citizen has no right to work in Malta, unless they are married to an EU citizen." LOL. seriously?

Hi Myrkur,

The emphasis is on ' right'.A Russian or any other non-EU national married to or accepted as partner of an EU or Maltese citizen has the right to work in Malta or anywhere else in the EU.

All other third-country nationals need to apply for a work permit or residency . It can be granted or denied - that depends on the circumstances.

Regards
Ricky

Hi ricky,

still what a strange way to put it. shouldn't it be: a Russian has the no *right* to work in Malta, unless they are married to an EU-citizen or have a work permit?
if I am married to a Maltese I have the right to work.
If I have a work permit I have the right to work.

he just put it very strangely that's all. like being married to an eu-citizen is the only way to get the right to work.

I am american married to an EU citizen and I have the same rights as a russian....  whats the trouble?

I am american married to an EU citizen and I have the same rights as a russian....  whats the trouble?

besides did you say your french.. isn't france an EU state??  so why are you worried about the politics of a russian anyway, if your man wants to work here he either needs cash in the bank or y'all get married, or you can prove a long lasting relationship to the maltese government...   same as me, problem solved.

Chad

Hi

Yes there are many drawbacks here. Yes, the climate is great, it is part of the EU, France is not far and there are good people which you can find. Generally speaking you can get what you want/need as products, health standards are good etc.

BUT. Things move very slowly, and its a very conservative country with many people who are suspicious of anything or anyone non Maltese.

Still come here for a bit and check it out. By the way, some language schools do offer French! There are also gaming shops that often need French speakers

Hope it helps!

"many people who are suspicious of anything or anyone non Maltese."    I fund this statement true yet entertaining since I think Malta would Perish without it's expats....

I agree with NoelA though on everything stated...   Definately come check it out before the move if you have a chance...  I love living here, but Malta is not for everybody.

Hello,

To be french teacher in Malta, it won't be easy but you can always try as assistant teacher at the University, I think for a french speaker you always fine something, maybe not what you are expecting for but it is a start.

Russian speaker have some position in I-Gaming industry but it is not often...

Bye

I surrender

( obligatory )

Hello,

You can work in a gaming company and teach french to the immigrants they need teacher for them as well. Ok it's free but depend of you if you like this kind of association or not.

BTW Malta is great if you work in gaming company, otherwise you get 3 or 4 euros per hour if you work in the restaurants..

Hope its helpp