Insuring a second-hand car in Malta

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I am aware that we have to prove that our car is second-hand (I think the registration papers from the UK have to show ownership of at least three years)- but how easy is it to insure a car in Malta.  What are the difficulties - if any?

Thanks in advance for wisdom coming through from the forum.

Had no trouble at all insuring the car.  walked in and out in 10 minutes.  My only dificulty was that my bank account was 250 Euro lighter when I left.

oh yeah...   bring cash they don't take cards at some offices.

Wow - that was an easy one - thanks me3512  :blink:

2 years

Thanks georgeingozo - :)

I believe Chad (me3512) was insuring a local used vehicle...there might be additional steps if you are insuring one that you have brought into the country...like showing you've paid the registration tax? I'm not sure as I've not done it, just raising it as a potential issue. Also, to get any no claims discount you'll want to have a letter/document from your previous insurer showing how many years no claims discount you have.

Tim

Thanks Tim - we hadn't thought of the letter re no claim! I'll email one of the insurance companies for the 'official' requirements.  It's always good to get the expat view 'unofficial' - as it's these little things that have been experienced that count.

Tim is correct, I bought mine locally.

Sorry I am not paying much attention to detail this morning.

I am taking a UK registered car, have owned it for almost 5 years.  Vehicle is currently in Spain, insured in Malta.

My insurance gives me 3 months European cover which covers the time needed to get it to Malta.  All mine was done online, through my brothers insurance company (heŽs already in Malta).  Absolutely no hassle at all, and much better quotes than UK or Spanish insurance companies.

:D

The news just gets better - one less issue to worry about in planning the move! Thanks lucyanya:thanks: