Are you happy in Mexico?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Mexico? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Mexico happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

Oh yeah, much happier. more relaxed. I even feel safer. Yes, when there was construction behind me I did get robbed, but we figured out how to make the house more secure, and less appealing and that could easily happen in the U.S..   The neighbors look out for me . They are wonderful.

There are a few inconveniences, like trying to figure out the best way to get things that I could get in the U.S. that I can not easily get here. Otherwise it's tranquilo.

I know people and places I would never have known if I had just remained in one place.

I've been here 8 years and am a Residente Permanente.
Down here, I feel the government leaves me alone to a much greater extent than in the US.
There's time for extensive personal service along with bureaucratic delays.
I enjoy an order of tacos along with a beer or large glass of fresh squeezed orange juice as much as I used to enjoy a burger and a beer.
I could go back.  I won't.  I feel safe, comfortable and respected.

Neighbors are happy to provide the names of businesses and doctors and dentists who are reliable and available on short notice, something difficult in the US.

We have Sams Club, Costco and Walmart along with a couple of excellent Mexican "Walmart" type stores nearby.  and now there is a Mexican Amazon.com.mx site, many formerly unavailable items are delivered to your door.  I've ordered from the Mexican department store chain and happy with the price and service.  You learn where to find resources, sometimes early on and sometimes later in the game.  I'm here to stay.

Your information was much appreciated. My GF and I are planning a month long trip there in November to see if it would be where we would choose to reside permanently. So glad they have Amazon as that is how I do most of my shopping. Lol! Thanks again for the tips!

I am much happier here in Mexico.. Retired in San Miguel de Allende than I ever was. I have lived in England.. Australia.. USA and Thailand and  so I have good perspective of good and bad etc

I love mexico because I love Mexicans! Generally they are the happiest people I know... And generally kind and likeable.. So it is infectious a degree.

México is crazy beautiful. I enjoy the mayhem.. Most of the time!

One thing I have learned about expat communities around the world... Being retired is a life skill that must be learned. It's no differnet than other major life events such as parenthood.. Marriage or a new job. It takes time to learn the ropes.

I have lived here full time as a Permanente residente for 10 years and love it. slower pace of life with
friendlier people. not scared of there own shadow ,or there neighbor. so much happier more relaxed
and would only leave if had to. We moved here with just our car and a 4x8 trailer. Bought a house and never looked back. As always when new to a country, there is things you have to learn, but that is to be expected. As far as the Mexican people, I am not sure  what they think of us, but on the most part they
are friendly enough, but I think it has to do with the things that happen in the States. Sometimes I hear
things said about us but I guess that is to be expected because we live a little different style. I do feel sorry for there economy cause it makes it harder on all of us especially the ones that live on social
programs.

Jim

Carole, you should visit San Miguel de Allende--you would love it as a full-time resident down here!
Saludos,
Greg

Yes I feel happier in Mx than I did in San Diego. I think , it has to do with the climate, sun, humidity and all the beautiful colors. Movement is slower in MX and you take the time to really look at things and people and listen.

GregGunter wrote:

Carole, you should visit San Miguel de Allende--you would love it as a full-time resident down here!
Saludos,
Greg

Just out of curiosity, what would you say is the minimum income needed for a single person to live in SMA?

gudgrief wrote:
GregGunter wrote:

Saludos,
Greg

Just out of curiosity, what would you say is the minimum income needed for a single person to live in SMA?

Hi, I don't personally know the awnser but the following internet site compares SMA with Xalapa.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … Comparison
WOW! SMA is more expensive namely in the rent and housing area. I am not supprised.
I found the same difference with my area (La Penita de Jaltemba with PV) and the same between (Compostela, Nayarit and La Penita de Jaltemba,, Nayarit)

Adios, GyC

Yes, I am very content in Mexico.  I have a Mexican wife and her family, which is wonderful.  The people here are great friends and are generally happy as well.  I work here, not making near as much as I made in the US, but all our needs are met.  Lord willing, I will live the rest of my days here.  Sometimes it is impossible to find a few things, but I usually make a trip to the US once every two years or so and am able to get things not available here.  It´s a great place to live.

mexicogc wrote:
gudgrief wrote:
GregGunter wrote:

Saludos,
Greg

Hi, I don't personally know the awnser but the following internet site compares SMA with Xalapa.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … Comparison
WOW! SMA is more expensive namely in the rent and housing area. I am not supprised.
I found the same difference with my area (La Penita de Jaltemba with PV) and the same between (Compostela, Nayarit and La Penita de Jaltemba,, Nayarit)

Adios, GyC

That covers it nicely, thank you.

A lot of people told SMA was expensive.  Rent and utilities look to be the biggest items.

Almost 17 years in Mexico. Citizen since 2005. Great place to live.

In Mexico since 1993; citizen since 2007. I don't plan to leave.

I have lived in many places in the world, but Mexico is my home.

So nice to hear all these positives!    I will be in PV for a month beginning late Dec. and wanted some advice as to a fun xmas/New Year's celebration.    My college-aged daughter will be with me...
This is a good start for a future long-term stay in 2018.

I don't live there yet, but I almost do.  I come to visit Tijuana and Rosarito every other week and stay 3-4 days at a time.  I take care of my father who retired there and became ill with dementia.  I've taken over the household duties and hired caregivers that have been a blessing to me in this situation.  As a result, I'm now planning on expanding the property and take in other U.S. retirees that need assisted living on a very tight budget.  My biggest frustration has been the utility companies.  I first got hit with an exorbitant electricity bill and had to have the house rewired.  Now I'm dealing with the water company - the bill is 10X higher than normal, and I now have to hire an expert to see what the problem is.  The water company is not much help.  They just want you to pay up regardless if there's a problem with the meter or anything else.  Not much help there.

However, I love the culture, the people and the vibe.  It feels lively there.  Every time I'm there I talk  with people on the street or they visit us, and we get invited to fiestas or festivities.  I've gotten much more comfortable with the safety issues, and I've learned that for the most part, it's like anywhere else.  I live near the Los Angeles area and there are cities you don't want to get caught in at night.  Same way in Mexico.  You learn what areas to avoid and also, how to dodge street peddlers.  You find out where the local people shop and what are the good places to visit, if you want to get out.  I plan on retiring there when my time comes...or sooner.  It's a simple life where the focus is family, love and music.

Carol 46

Amazon here, is not quite Amazon in the U.S, but they are working on it. Slowly it gets better, but do not expect the same service you are getting there. You will want to expand your shopping choices and get to know stores here.

travellight wrote:

Carol 46

Amazon here, is not quite Amazon in the U.S, but they are working on it. Slowly it gets better, but do not expect the same service you are getting there. You will want to expand your shopping choices and get to know stores here.

Service on the one order from Amazon Mexico I had was flawless.  The range of goods and variety seems to be limited to what categories are already available in Mexico.

Yes, you do have to look in more places but with the Mexican chains, Home Depot, Walmart, Sam's and Costco things are getting easier to find.  Mexican middle and upper classes makes trips or "encarguen amigos con algunos artículos" to the US for shopping because of, they say, better price, quality and selection.  In my own experience that is largely true.  But living with just what is available in Mexico is no hardship.

Access to material things does not determine happiness for most, I think.

Actually Amazon is delivering more and more things, not just things that are already here. It takes a week or two perhaps because it comes from the U.S. but it arrives.

There are very few things that are hard to get. The main one i have problems with are American type of vitamins and supplements and organic personal products like make up and toothpaste. For the most part they don't do them here. There are some Mexican herbs that can fill the gap but otherwise you have to get them from the states using companies like i-herb. Which may or may not be able to deliver in a month or two or in two cases not at all.

travellight wrote:

Actually Amazon is delivering more and more things, not just things that are already here. It takes a week or two perhaps because it comes from the U.S. but it arrives.

There are very few things that are hard to get. The main one i have problems with are American type of vitamins and supplements and organic personal products like make up and toothpaste. For the most part they don't do them here. There are some Mexican herbs that can fill the gap but otherwise you have to get them from the states using companies like i-herb. Which may or may not be able to deliver in a month or two or in two cases not at all.

Good point, I forgot they listed a lots of imported stuff.