Living in Rosarito Beach, Baja Ca, Mex

If you want to live well, in a Pacific coastal town, semi arid, never too hot or cold, no poisonous insects or snakes, about 40 minutes from San Diego USA, tranquil, affordable and safe...then move here.  I've travelled all over Mexico, even spent time in SMA back in the 70s.  Does it still have the "artsy" hype?  Whatever.
I suggest one moves to Mexico for a new life, not because it is "cheaper".  Ive met many Americans who left for financial reasons and ended up living in a foreign country as shut ins, always daydreaming about their life back in the states.  Living in Mexico isn't all that "cheap".  Living in Rosarito is more affordable than SMA because of it's hype as an "artsy" American colony.  So there.
There's many reasons why I moved to Mexico.  First of all I'm an unashamed Catholic and Mexico is a Catholic nation.  I attend mass everyday and live the simple life.  Not lacking anything or regretting my former life as an over consuming, brainwashed Yanqui.
That's about all I want to expose for now.  If you want more intimate details contact me and I vow to be open and honest in all matters.  Pax vobiscum!

Hello paxvobiscum!

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you for this introduction of yours.

Regards
Kenjee

Buenos dias le de Dios,
I am new in my research work on Mexico and just starting to look at various areas in Mexico.  Thank you for your offer to provide some information on living in Rosarito.  What type of accommodation do you have there and what are your accommodation expenses like?

Rosarito sounds wonderful the way you describe it.   You seem to have found an excellent place for yourself.

I would be very interested in hearing more about Rosarito.

Gracias,
Patryka

I live in an 1 bedroom apt on a bluff about 5 blocks from the beach.  Rents are about $200-350 for a single apt.  My utilities are about $50/month (gas, electricity and water).  My colonia is in a nicer, upscale and newer part of Rosarito, so my rent is a bit on the higher side. 
This town is rather conservative and "tranquilo".  If one wants to party and act like a shameless tourist, go to Tijuana which is about 15 minutes from here.  Every vice and weakness is catered to there and danger is in no short supply.  Rosarito is the opposite of TJ.  They have some wilder clubs on the playa, which go all night and seem to be full during the summer, winter and spring vacations. 
There's no shortage of the usual eateries, boutique-ish shopping, plus Walmart, Home Depot, and Applebee's etc.  Being only a short distance from the San Diego, one has the best of both worlds, for consuming.  Be aware that Mexico is affordable only if you live like a Mexican.  Transplanting your American lifestyle to a 3rd world nation will cost you because American goods are imported and actually more expensive down here. 
Ask yourself if moving down south to live in an American colony is really a true foreign experience.   I wanted and needed a new life.  My life in the states seemed to be forever chasing dollars to pay more and more bills.  I came to the conclusion that God didn't create the human race for this purpose.  Down here, I'm more human and less a cog in the machine of blind capitalist douche baggery.
This post exhausted me.  I need a nap.  Toodles, Pax

Pax,
Thanks for taking time to answer my post.  I appreciate the information.  I, too, am looking for a new life and I am so tired of chasing the almighty $$.  I want to live simply and enjoy my surroundings.  Rosarito could be just the answer....

Thank you, again for your thoughtful answer.

Patryka

Thanks for your most interesting posts,
What are the "usual eateries"? authentic Mexican food, or Americanized Mexican food ? Do they have Chedraui or Mega Markets ? or primarily Walmart's and Sams club.

I've avoided the area because of it's proximity to T.J. which always includes a large amount of risk, but it seems that you are saying that isn't a problem. I'm safe and comfortable here but enjoy exploring other places.

They have Calimax and Soriana and other mega marts here too.  Everything one needs to live.  The usual eateries are various taco shops, seafooderies and hotel dining.  Too many to name.  Of course the big mac and pizza crap is universal by now.  Im not a huge fan of eating out anymore.  Surf the net for Rosarito Beach dining for more detailed info.
Do not fear RB and even compare it with Tijuana in any way.  Ive spent too much time in TJ and know quite well the dark side which I eventually outgrew.  Believe me, there's lots of American and Euro trash that live the vida cacada there.  Its funny to watch so many get lost on those mean streets.  Not for the weak hearted fer sher.
The simple life can be achieved here in RB.  Clean beaches and the police really do protect us transplants.  Not because theres a real threat to us.  More because they like the injection of dollars into the local economy.  Lots of military retirees move here.  Must be for a good reason.  Thx, Pax

Thanks Pax,
I will check it out when I'm up that way.  I don't eat out much either, but when I travel I'm forced to. I see the same junk food places entrenched here , but I think some have wised up because of the obesity problem . They haven't been willing to rethink drinking coke though , its everywhere.

I am assuming that Rosarito has good internet service.  My biz partner is coming to take his wife to a medical clinic.  We will need to do business.  Is WIFI readily avail. or in the hotels normally-and reliable?  Thanks.  YES SMA is still awesome......

wifi in the better hotels.  thx

Hey Pax, Thanks for sharing your experience. Last time I was in Rosarita Beach was 2003 when my wife and I traveled to Cabo on a honeymoon from our Valentines Day wedding in Anchorage.  Divorced now but still treasure the memories of Baja. I work as a Real Estate Appraiser in Kenai Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage. I've been plotting to spend half the year in the south and the summers here in AK. I've been watching the drought in CA. I.was wondering how much effect, if any it may be having on Baja. I was thinking of SMA because I read some information from the Nation magazine about a community of expat progressives that live there. It sounded interesting though I am not what would be considered an activist. My passion in life is enduro motorcycling. Our trip to Cabo was on motorcycles. On the low end of the learning curve for living south of the border so really appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences. Hope your day is good.

Since Rosarito is just an hour from the San Diego border, the drought is in full swing here also.  That being said, I can assure you that there's plenty of tap and bottled water available for a normal life.  Hear rumors of a desalination plant being built farther south from here.  I'm not too fond of living in Mexico and surrounding one's self with Americana.  There are many "yanquis" that move down here and cloister themselves in an American colony, condo complex or gated community, then eat an occasional taco and wear a sombrero on holidays.  I don't get it.
By the same token, I never liked it when Mexicans lived for 30 years in the states, never learned the language and hid behind the walls of a barrio.  I found it offensive to just move north for the dollars yet utterly deny the culture.  I've expressed this openly and got accused often of being a "pinche gringo".  In my own country.
"When in Rome....".
If one feels safe in SMA, in some Waspy fortress, having buffalo wings and cheesecake Fedexed in weekly, be my guest.
When expatriating, one must take the good and bad of the new country, as one did in his native land.  Or else you're just window shopping for empty experiences that fail to enrich or edify your humanity.  Have an extraordinary life, if you can.

A lot of damage has been done in Latin America for the sake of US investments. I don't plan to be another ugly american. Not learning the language and customs and eating the food diminishes the excitement of exploration and discovery. No fun in that. It's about growing, learning, and making a contribution to a better world. Your thoughts and insights are very much appreciated. Getting to know what you don't want takes some serious learning.

paxvobiscum wrote:

Since Rosarito is just an hour from the San Diego border, the drought is in full swing here also.  That being said, I can assure you that there's plenty of tap and bottled water available for a normal life.  Hear rumors of a desalination plant being built farther south from here.  I'm not too fond of living in Mexico and surrounding one's self with Americana.  There are many "yanquis" that move down here and cloister themselves in an American colony, condo complex or gated community, then eat an occasional taco and wear a sombrero on holidays.  I don't get it.
By the same token, I never liked it when Mexicans lived for 30 years in the states, never learned the language and hid behind the walls of a barrio.  I found it offensive to just move north for the dollars yet utterly deny the culture.  I've expressed this openly and got accused often of being a "pinche gringo".  In my own country.
"When in Rome....".
If one feels safe in SMA, in some Waspy fortress, having buffalo wings and cheesecake Fedexed in weekly, be my guest.
When expatriating, one must take the good and bad of the new country, as one did in his native land.  Or else you're just window shopping for empty experiences that fail to enrich or edify your humanity.  Have an extraordinary life, if you can.

Definitely like your attitude, I've always wondered why people go somewhere else only to drag the U.S. like a ball and chain behind them. I was actually embarrassed in Peru when people complained about no one speaking English and the food not being like the U.S.
We are going to be in the U.S. briefly then coming back via the Baja. Any advice on the ferry system between La Paz and Mazatlan ? We plan to stop at Rosarito for 2-3 days and look around.

I do so agree with you and PaxVobiscum, Travelight!  And I would appreciate some information about the ferry as well.  My daughter and I plan to visit Baja next year. We promised ourselves to go for the whale watching the year she turned 60 and I turned 80, but we'll be another year in the planning. When it happens, I'd like to drive (from Veracruz) to meet her there, and the information on the ferry would be very handy. 

I'm also carefully watching for a return of the ferry that ran from Progresso (Yucatan, north of Merida) to Tampa. At the time we sailed in it, we had a house in Florida and lived in Quintana Roo, and it was as if it ran just for us! It made a 1600 mile road trip into one of less than 200 miles.

This is of some help Babs, but Pax may know even more. http://www.liferemotely.com/trip-shenan … -mazatlan. It sounds like we should get tickets in La Paz a couple of days before departure. I'm sure it's the same thing on the Mazatlan side.

Thank you for post I have been thinking about rosarita.Its much easier than going too far I still have grand kids and parents in San Diego but would love to leave calif
Thanks again

:cool: hello I am jim brogan a retiree 71 living in the philippines. I need to move closer to the united states in order for my medicare to be effective. I see rosarito is close to san diego border which would be great. I am looking for another expat single to share a nice condo on the beach long term. I would also like to hear from other retirees living in rosarito on living there. Is it safe and good medical clinics? to any expat out there in rosarito I would love to hear comments about your expieriences in mexico. Thank you.
                                                    jim brogan

I like the way you think!

However, I am Charismatic....charismatica?

But my original destination was retiring in Baja.  Husband said No.

But .... I can go there now.  Is it over run with thugs, drugs, and worse....Americans who can't
speak a lick of Spanish?

I too want a simpler lifestyle....there is a stunning casita that I was suppose to see this coming
March outside of Loreto but it just seemed way too hard to get in and out of....

So ..............tell me more.
S

Move to Baja....I have a friend who goes to San Diego all the time.

Get a condo ON THE BEACH and I'll split it with you, perhaps.

BUT.............strictly platonic and financially secure situation.

I'm ready to go.

(The ONLY reason I was checking into SMA is that my brother in law's parents settled there.  Dad's a doc
and can afford to do as he pleases.  For me, personally, it is so far away that I may as well go try out
Vietnam or some other exotic place.  Tuscany.  The moon.  So yes, to RE-consider Baja would
be great fun.)

hello and thanks for your reply. when I move to mexico I am not looking for a relationship but would like to find a companion who loves sports and fishing and playing a game of parcheze or enjoy a tequila sunrise as the awesome sunsets from a condo balcony overlooking the ocean..Plus some reggae music.. so you take care. take care.
                                                            sincerely
                                                              jim

:)      <<<  Fishing maniac.

I would love nothing more than to match or surpass my sister in laws monster marlin
taken in ALL BY HERSELF.

Why the knock on SMA? No one Fedexes me anything and it IS waspy, but I can get a can of Raid for that. I have heard good things about RB, but our family is here. Have a blessed day.

Did I knock SMA ?   :/   

If I did, I certainly didn't mean to!

I would love to live either place....I know next to nothing about both.

Salud !

Sabral, it was not you-have a great night!

hey sounds like u enjoy living in rosarito. happy to read about someone with positive views. best of everything to you ...

hello. if you have the time keep in touch as for sure I will be in rosarito next year about this time. or actually in sept. looking forward to meeting you and create a good friendship.. I dont smoke and have a corona and like living the peaceful life..having a companion that you cn chat or go to a movie or take atrip together would be awesome. enjoy your life as life can be short..take good care.
                                                               jim

Hi everyone in RB and SMA topic. I was fortunate enough to live in Baja California for over15 years and I loved it. Rosarito has a lot of American communities just to mention some: cantamar, popotla, la mision,  and some others that I can't recall right now. If you are looking for the closeness of the two worlds I highly recommend baja. Puerto nuevo in Rosarito with the delicious lobster, several fine wineries just an hour from Rosarito with several events and five stars hotels and wineries tours, fishing, surfing, hiking and a lot to ride, if you are a big fan of dirt rides you should check out the international off-road Baja 1000 that the beautiful Ensenada hosts every year in November. I used to live in Esenada and loved it, Now if you are really looking for a small village with a expat community in baja visit ejido erendira or las cabras, a very small remote places in Ensenada Baja California.

I always wonder why people move to someplace like Mexico  ie  Rosarito or Playas et al and choose to livie in an "American expat" enclave.  There is a lot to be said about living among the "general" population.  I have never sought out an expat setting......life among the Mexican people (neighbors) is so much more interesting and really gives a true learning experience, And my SPANISH is pitiful. I do not  have a linguistic  gene!  But while my neighbors are  for the most part non English speaking..............we get along fine.

Cable mas is a good internet provider.  I use Suddenlink when I am back in the states (AZ) and Cablemas is better.  About $50 US a month.  SUPER SERVICE if there is a problem (rare) and that includes basic TV.    3 English speaking channels   and lots of US football and golf on other channels.  I use Vonage and recommend AVOIDING the Mexican phone service BIG TIME.

I chose Playas  over  Rosarito (my first rental) because of its closeness to the border crossing,  Playas is like this little "island" community on the beach west of Tijuana  and thanks to a couple of major hills that run south from the border to Ensendada area.....is well situated  AWAY from Tijuana proper.

I have a wholesale sportswear biz (not online) that was based in California 6 years that I lived in Playas full time  (and now in AZ 3 years, part time)  crossing the border once or twice a month was easier from Playas.

Playas is smaller than Rosarito (18,000) but it an easy drive to Rosarito and  surrounding wineries, etc and even in to Ensenada.   It has 2 malls(small) AND a Walmart (where I refuse to shop!) , a 6 plex movie theater, great restaurants, et al,  I originally rented a 2 bedroom ocean front near the lighthouse for $400.  Later I rented a 3 bedroom bath 2 bedroom house with ocean view for $500.  Never tired of watching the dolphins in the early morning. 

I found I could manage my business without EVER crossing the border
but I continued to cross once or twice a month since I was close  to buy a few things I couldn't get south of the border like "albacore white tuna",   Tuna in Mexico is labeled "tuna' but it is really dolphin for the most part.  And when the can is opened (which I have not done since  2006) it looks like pink minced catfood. 

Anyone wanting to run a home based business from Mexico should be able to do it without any worries.

I agree Ann, it seems odd to Move to Mexico then tightly wrap yourself in America in a gated expat community. We do not live in one and we get along just fine with our native neighbors. Our Spanish and understanding of the people, and the culture gets better every day because of that. Some expats speak some Spanish and many do not.
I also agree that Cablemas is really pretty reliable, despite the fact that the locals do not think so. The Cablemas  sidewalk ground covers seem to be the only ones broken into which makes the attitude pretty clear. I know they are much better than comcast ever was, and cheaper.

I am not having trouble with the phone system though. We have Telcel and other than someone hacking my minutes, which stopped when I put a pin number on my phone, they have been fine. Your cell can be hacked anywhere and mine was near the U.S.

I do a lot of  international calling and absolutely cannot afford the Mexican phone company.   The first month I was in Baja, I spent $1000 on phone calls.  Changed  that fast.  I have a friend in Rosarito who uses Magic Jack very successfully.

Pax I'm considering moving to the coast possibly Rosarito or Playas, any suggestions about how to locate rentals? Thanks for the share by the way, it's helping my research!

There's a place called "Rosarito Rentals" nearby my place.  You can search them online easily.  They have several prospects for rentals.  Be specific about what kind of place you want and your price range.  I live on the southern end of Rosarito which is a newer district.  If you need any more help, just let me know.  Thx, Pax

Magic Jack works perfectly down here.  My neighbor has one and is on the phone constantly. I, for one, only use my cell for emergencies.  I gave up the constant calling and texting when I moved down here.  Don't miss it at all.   Thx, Pax

I think Mexican tuna is the stuff they sweep up off the floors of other canneries.  Eeyewww.

I will check out the rentals place. Great info about the phone by the way!

Hola,

Thanks for all the info.  I'm not old enough to retire and plan to live in RB and commute to SD hopefully only part time.  Any advice on this topic?

Mexican tuna is supposedly dolphin.  Check the labels.  I always get albacore tunabrands  from the US.  Try Walmart, Costco or Smart and Final in Mexico.  I often find it in those stores.