Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Cyprus

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Cyprus can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Cyprus?

What are the most common clichés about life in Cyprus in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Before I moved to Cyprus I thought it was just like any other developed European country where there is equal respect for everyone, irrespective of color and nationality. But as soon as I landed at the airport I observed something is not right. I have lived in Cyprus for two and a half years but still felt like a total stranger. Cypriots are very racist and very impolite. They have no respect for any other nationality. They hate blacks and will not want to do anything with blacks. I think Cyprus is the most racist country I have ever lived in, the most racist country in the whole of Europe. I will not advise any black person to visit that country.

@Ampadu Hello,

As someone who has been to the country multiple times, I can whole heartily tell yo that this is not true. I think that you ended up in rough side of the country and maybe you did not have some good experiences but this is not a reason to stereotype the whole nation after one bad experience. Going forwards I hope you learn the culture of the country and have been to multiple parts of the country so that you have a bigger sample size to make your judgements and then proceeding to mislead the community about your experiences. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Note..... this is a six years old thread....