Paphos or Larnaca

I am interested in moving to Cyprus in the near future with my wife and grown up daughter but i am unsure on were to move to on the Island. We will not be working so that has no bearing on our decision and we will be probably staying throughout the late autmn, winter and well in to Spring. My wife and daughter would prefer to have a strong English influence, shops, people, bars etc. For me, if i can get a decent English breakfast or Steak pie then i am happy. Obviously we want to fit in with the Cypriot lifestyle but certainly to start with, it is important to make sure my wife and daughter dont get homesick. My question is, Which part of Cyprus would suit us better. I have spent a week or so in Larnaca but i have only been to Paphos for the airport! Thank you in advance for any information.

I would say Paphos, but then i dont know much about Larnaca..... English in both is prominent in both areas.... I guess it depends on what you want from the experience of Cyprus,,what you wish to do & see, your interests etc whetehr you want to be near a beach a town or city or a more sedate country lifestyle. 

Bear in mind though you will need to apply for your residency here quickly as you intend to stay more than 90 days ... if you dont then you will fall foul of the 90/180 days rule....

Hiya,

Like Toon says..it very much depends on what your personal preferences... for what its worth I have lived in a few different parts of the Island and finally settled in Larnaca...I was in Nicosia for a year and really I wouldnt recommend it, well it wasnt for me anyway..also I was in Paralimni which is a a lovely town about an hour north of Larnaca..it has every convenience and modern shops near Protaras (seaside resort) and a considerable UK community.

As I said we settled in LArnaca..which is a largish town..it has all the high street stores that you would have at home...and in the tourist area around Dhakaela..there is a big british UK community...many who have retired to Cyprus...and a big influx of British people during the summer months..who seem to mix quiet well...

There are a few chippies if you feel like a one and one and plenty of pubs and bars frequented by ex pats. (.€1.70 for a pint of lager in my local..)

If you are unsure it might be worth considering renting for a month or two in a few places..to get a feel for the different areas...until you find what suits you best..

We did this by renting on a month to month basis until we settled initially in Nicosia (for work purposes mainly)..and eventually put down roots in Larnaca..which we found had the best of both worlds with a relaxed atmosphere...and all the modern amenities along with access to numerous beaches and easy access to the Airport...

Good luck with your journey.