T-Mobile or Other

Hello All!

Just trying to figure out our best phone option for our move next month. We'll be traveling through Mexico for at least 3 weeks, then into Belize for an extended period of time (hopefully, permanently). T-Mobile tells us we can use their service in Belize at no additional cost, but I'm not convinced. Anyone using T-Mobile? We're just trying to find the cheapest, easiest option. Skype? Vonage? Magic Jack? BTL?

Thanks!

CAtoBZ,
Not sure about T-mobile but, using WiFi will be the cheapest to call back to the US. You can't beat free. There are live video chat/telephone options that are easy to use such as Skype, Google or FaceBook Video chat, and there are others. You may just want to have a quick lesson to set up loved ones at home that are not that computer savey.  I like appear.in (it seems to take less bandwidth which is relevant in Belize) and anyone (up to 8 people at once) you want to talk to can simply click on a link you provide in an email and it brings them right into your chat room. Easy Peasey.

for local calls in Belize, once you get to Belize, BTL can provide a pay as you go chip that will replace that of your home service provider and be good for calling or texting (Mobile Data packages are expensive relative to the US). You will have to be sure your phone is unlocked, that can be done here for about 50.00 but it will probably be done for free (if required) by your home provider assuming you have had service with them for long enough. When/if you return home, you can just switch the chips again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bill. That's helpful for personal calls, but we're going to be conducting business remotely, as well, so we'll need an inexpensive, efficient, regular phone service. We've told our clients they can use the same phone number to contact us so we just need to port our current landline number to some sort of mobile phone service.

CAtoBZ
Sorry my friend, I didn't get that from the original question. Good luck, I'm sure someone here can provide some ideas from personal experience.

Good Morning, I had Version in the states, unlimited talk, text, and data for $75 US a month. I have Smart (private ownership), and get six gigs for $60 BZD.
I use whatsapp for calls, and text.

Hello,
Eariler this year when I was there my T mobile carrier from the states told me that they did not have any additional charges in Belize. The belize wireless network, on the other hand did charge me $4.19 usd a minute for all my calls. Since then it does look like T mobil did add Belize to their coverage plans. I guess I will check it out again later this year when I head back. Or if anyone knows for sure please keep us informed.

Thanks everyone!

Please, everyone, keep the input coming.

I'm thinking I should just pick up a Magic Jack Go line for $40-$50 just to be safe.

CAtoBZ wrote:

Thanks Bill. That's helpful for personal calls, but we're going to be conducting business remotely, as well, so we'll need an inexpensive, efficient, regular phone service. We've told our clients they can use the same phone number to contact us so we just need to port our current landline number to some sort of mobile phone service.

Up to now, while in Belize and traveling elsewhere  I have been using an inexpensive DUAL SIM smartphone I bought on Amazon while in Texas.  One SIM card for BTL the other for FreedomPop for texting and calling the USA over WiFi.

Just yesterday on my stateside Verizon android phone (Motorola Maxx) Verizon put out an operating system update that includes the ability to make and receive calls over WiFi including internationally. I have tested it on several WiFi Texas connections by putting the phone into aircraft mode then turning WiFi back on. It works great so far for calls, voicemail, and Texting.

For me this a game changer in being able to stay in contact with folks in the US during the many months I am in Belize and traveling.

Thanks WTO! We will explore this option after arriving in Belize. We are in Puebla and at our leisurely pace, should be there in 2-3 weeks.