Thinking of moving to Malta

Hi All,

I have been on holiday to Malta three times so far and love it. We are planning on another visit in april/may time. Was considering renting an apartment this time to get a different feel for the place.

I am considering moving to Malta in a few yrs time or sooner, but want to save up first.

Have been reading the previous posts and finding out more about Malta though the internet, but I have a few questions hopefully someone will be able to answer.

We are considering starting/leasing a business, do you need a residencey permit first? So would it be easy to get employment first to get a permit then look into leasing a business premises?

And how much money would you think suitable to save up first before taking the plunge and moving over.

I'm from the uk so I know I can apply for a residence movement sticker and I have read a bit about uk banks who have international accounts to use overseas until I can get a maltese one. Plus I have been looking into cars, and met someone last time we were over who drove a new car from the uk to malta and got all the documentation done without a huge amount of hassel.

Hope somone can answer my questions.
Thanks
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the forum.

As you are from the UK by the time you move to Malta you will not need a work permit anymore (change in law May 2011).

By applying for the Maltese ID card you declare that you are a resident.You will need the ID card for just about any transaction here in Malta , like opening a bank account.

Officially you should also apply for a Residence Permit and fulfil the conditions that are required (income,health insurance and so on).And if you intend to start a business you would probably need the official document anyway.

The chances of finding work are difficult to judge as you do not provide any relevant details.

Starting your own business is something that will depend on many things and is difficult to give advice on .As is the money question.

With a Maltese ID card it is quite easy and fast to open a bank account.

The car question is difficult to answer. If you own a car in the UK for more than 2 years you can bring it to Malta taxfree when you move your residence to Malta.Otherwise you will have pay car registration tax depending on which car you import.

With a Maltese ID card you would have to register the car very soon and pay the tax.As a tourist on the island (without ID card) you can drive a foreign registered car for around 6 months.

Regards
Ricky

Just a caveat on the 2 year car part - Ricky is right you can bring a car you've owned for 2 years into the country tax free, but if you dispose of it in Malta (i.e. sell it on) you are liable for the tax that you didn't pay when you imported it - here's the details:

Restrictions

The motor vehicle may not be sold, given away, disposed of, hired out or lent following its importation or its bringing into Malta unless the vehicle registration tax to which the exemption relates is paid thereon in accordance with the provisions of the First or Second Schedule to the Motor Vehicles Registration and Licensing Act (Cap 368).

Regards
Tim

and only the person named in the logbook (plus maybe their spouse) can drive it

oh, and if the car dies in Malta you may have to pay the tax then unless you export the wreck