Veteran moving to Panama

Thank you for the warm invitation. I am a retired American currently living in N. Carolina. My son and I are looking to move to Panama. My son is 30 and confined to a wheel chair. Considering my age and his chair, we are quite active and in reasonably good health.
I like cool weather and imagine we would want to reside in or near to Boquete. City living is not for me but a small town or rural site near town would be ideal.
I am a veteran and currently my medical coverage is provided by the Veterans Administration. I've heard that good medical care and insurance is available, but I would like to know if there is a Veterans Administration in Panama.
Our hobby is target shooting and I would like to know if gun ownership is allowed for permanent residents and also if there is a market for target and skeet clubs. The only other business I would be interested in, is rental property for handicapped tourists who otherwise feel left out of the whole travel Industry.
We plan to visit for three months next spring in the hopes of finding the right climate and place to concentrate on. Any input will be appreciated.
Thank You,
Dominic

Good day .I moved from the states to Puerto Rico . My husband is a 100% veteran and have considered Panama however Panama doesn't have any va hospital or va administration in Panama.     This is why we currently live in pr
If youb are 100% disabled through the va then they have to pay for your care no matter where you move too
Please feel free to private message me and I can give you a list of places in the world that have va medical centers in the world

Thank you for your quick response. I know there is a VA Hospital in Mexico. Just hoping there was one in Panama. I guess you are right. There is always hoping the VA will pay my deductible. Insurance is so cheap there, I'm only concerned about big charges like operations etc.
Hope you enjoy Puerto Rico, I'd love it if it wasn't so hot and humid.
Thanks again
Dominic

It really isn't that hot and humid here and it depends on where you live .More of Panama is hot and humid .   
If you live in many of the most beautiful mountains in pr it's definitely not hot and humid
If you pm I can send you some great links
Before moving to Rincon (west pr) we lived in arecibo mountains .I can tell you I never ran an air conditioner and it would drop in the 60s some nights but the house never got cold.
Like I said many mountains areas are hot and humid

I too, am dubious of advertised costs of living. On the other hand, I've always noted that in comparison pricing, writers seem to be quoting "Farmers Market" prices rather than grocery store pricing. In America, farmers markets sell at close to supermarket prices touting "fresher, more wholesome" as the reason. When I was younger (before advent of home freezers) it was possible to buy bushels of produce for pennies on the dollar for canning. We don't see that anymore and in Panama with year round produce, it is probably not cost effective when you consider electric costs and vacuum pack products.

I was under the impression the VA would pick up medical costs anywhere, even over seas regardless of %. I'm 80% disabled myself but hope to have that increased this year. Let me know what you find out!
I'm not sure how they cover you. Would it be just like an insurance claim? Or, must you pay up front and then be re-embursed at a later date? I'm planning on moving to Panama within the year.

Also, Panama City does have a Johns Hopkins Hospital as well as others with a USA based parent co. Wouldn't these medical facilities be more apt to cover VA costs?

Hello everyone,

Please note that a new thread has been created from your posts on the Panama forum. You will be more at ease to exchange on this thread than on the new members topic (which is the introduction thread).

All the best,
Bhavna

dominic135 wrote:

I was under the impression the VA would pick up medical costs anywhere, even over seas regardless of %. I'm 80% disabled myself but hope to have that increased this year. Let me know what you find out!
I'm not sure how they cover you. Would it be just like an insurance claim? Or, must you pay up front and then be re-embursed at a later date? I'm planning on moving to Panama within the year.

There is a reimbursement program available for service related illnesses and conditions, however, advance application and acceptance into the program for the particular service related illness or condition is required.  Per the VA's website:  The Foreign Medical Program (FMP) Office of the VA is responsible for determining eligibility for reimbursed medical treatment while traveling or residing abroad, except in the Philippines. Reimbursed medical care for U.S. Veterans residing or traveling in Canada and other foreign countries is limited to treatment for VA rated service-connected disabilities only. Generally, as long as the service is medically necessary for the treatment of a VA rated service-connected condition, it will be covered. In addition, the services must be accepted by VA and/or the U.S. medical community, such as the American Medical Association and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. An authorization to receive reimbursed medical treatment must be obtained from the FMP Office unless an emergency situation exists.  Contact the VA for information on how to participate in this program.

dominic135 wrote:

Also, Panama City does have a Johns Hopkins Hospital as well as others with a USA based parent co. Wouldn't these medical facilities be more apt to cover VA costs?

No. Participation in the above program through advance application and approval could result in reimbursement for treatment for service related illnesses and conditions (verses general and unrelated health issues and wellness services), but not direct payment to a healthcare provider.